7. We Bury The Dead, Burn The Rest.

The Greene's homestead, morning time

Eleanor Q. Adams stood next to her brother on the bumpy earth of Herschel's farm. He practically leaned all his weight on her, still feeling frail from his operation. Glenn stood quietly to her right, rocking on his heels as the group stood in a large semicircle. Herschel at the head in his Sunday best with a bible in hand.

Elle felt weird about her attire, she had borrowed a pair of Beth's jeans while hers were being washed. Even though the rest of her group were in jeans and dirtied T-shirts, it was Herschel's crisp white button shirt and Patricia's warm floral dress that put her at unease.

The Adams' weren't overly religious, they considered themselves normal Christians who attended church on Christmas and Easter. Maybe a few days in between if a friend's baby was baptized or something of the sort. Elle did own an array of nice dresses, contrary to her brother she loved to get dolled up.

"Blessed be God, the father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis." Herschel spoke, his mellow voice would've been comforting under any other circumstance. Though, today it made Elle squirm as it was her and Tucker's turn to place their rocks on the stone head marker they had made for Otis.

The blonde siblings hobbled to the headstone and laid their rocks down. A pang of hurt going through their chest at the thought of losing someone so close. As they did Amy, and their father presumably.

"For his span of years, for his abundance of character. Otis, who gave his life to save two children."

Elle rolled her eyes quietly, who had no choice but to give his life.

"Now, more than ever, our most precious asset. Children are the future, always have been. We thank you God for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace." Herschel finished, allowing the remaining members to place their stones. Carl being carried by Rick up to the headstone before dropping his rock gently.

Tucker attempted to stand up straight but almost lost his footing, switching his weight from Elle to Glenn. Though the boy didn't mind, he thought Elle could use a rest from hauling around one hundred and fifty pounds anyways.

"Thank you all for being here," Herschel smiled before looking pointedly at the man in Otis' clothing. "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

"I'm not good at it, 'm sorry." Shane muttered, looking anywhere but at the Greene family.

"You were the last one with him!" Patricia sobbed, "Please, can you share his final moments? I need to know his death had meaning!" Her tears were large and full of pain as they dropped from her cheeks.

Shane took a deep breath and nodded to Elle, gesturing for her to come forward. And if it weren't for a soft nudge from her mother, her feet might still be glued to that patch of weeds.