Nightmare

I was sitting in the back seat in classroom. The lesson dragged on like a worm. It was the last class and it seemed endless.

I looked out the window at the flying birds. It was sunny even though nature was slowly announcing the arrival of autumn.

The teacher was explaining something at the blackboard and acted as if it should be the most important thing in our lives

I looked at the clock. Ten more minutes even.

My thoughts drifted back to Tommy.

I didn't know what made him so special, but something told me he wasn't ordinary.

The bell announced the end of class. Everyone threw their things into their backpacks, then into their lockers, and quickly headed out of the school.

I was always waiting for the main group to drop out. I liked the journey home alone.

I put the textbooks from class in the locker and took home what we will need for homework.

I closed the locker and looked around the hallway. Somehow in the back of my mind I was hoping to see him somewhere, but no.

What were you thinking? He's new here and he's nice. He has certainly managed to find new and different friends.

I shook my head to get these thoughts out of my head. I walked out the huge main door.

Crowds of people stood outside. They looked at me strangely but I ignored their looks.

I walked past them and headed to the empty alley that led away from this institution.

I walked a few streets until I got home. I didn't meet anyone on the way and my mom wasn't home yet, so I was left alone.

I heated up my lunch, ate it and went to do my homework.

Mom didn't come until sometime around seven o'clock in the evening. We take dinner together and talked about what happened that day.

"A new boy came to our school today." I said when it was my turn to tell.

"One of the idiots was bullying him, so I stood up for him."

"Amelie! I hope you didn't get yourself into any trouble." my mom snapped at me. She didn't like violence so I quickly shook my head.

"No, don't worry. I just helped him." I explained and mom smiled.

"Good girl." she said and looking at the clock.

"It's late, so go to bed. You'll be up soon."

"Okay." I replied and went to my room without further protest.

I was at school. It was dark and the only light was the emergency lighting.

There was no one anywhere. It was just an empty, dark hallway.

"Hello?" I shouted into the silence. The word cut through the silence like a sharp knife and bounced off the dark walls.

I turned around.

Steps!

Somewhere in the distance I heard someone's footsteps. They were quiet, slow and confident.

Someone was heading straight for me.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I asked.

A figure appeared from around the corner. She looked like a man. You couldn't see her face because it was dark everywhere.

A person, a man, stood in the shadows. The light illuminated only his right hand. He had something shiny, metallic in it.. a weapon.

He slowly raised his hand towards me so now he was pointing the gun directly at me.

I didn't move, I couldn't.

He started laughing. His laugh cut to the core of bones.

Shot! All I heard was a gunshot and crazy laughter.

I woke up. The room was dark. I was breathing deeply, I was sweating, and my eyes were darting around the room.

Light. I had to turn on the light immediately.

When I did that and made sure there was no one in the room, I went back to bed.

I sat down and tried to calm down.

Gun, shot, laugh.

Something was wrong.