Blackout

We sat on the chairs that were in the room. There was silence everywhere. We wanted to call someone, but neither of us had a signal.

It was around eight o'clock in the evening. It was already completely dark outside and the only light in the room was a dimly lit old bulb and the moon from outside.

The light bulb crack out of nowhere. We were both in shock. Out of the silence that had been there until now, the slightest sound could be heard. And the crack of the bulb cut through the silence like nothing.

"We're never going to light this again." Dax said as he looked at the lamp that was mounted on the wall.

Suddenly something creaked. We both stood up quickly and turned to face the door.

It was ajar, as if it had never been locked.

Dax walked slowly towards it and I followed him.

There were two flashlights on the ground in front of the door in the room.

"But these weren't here before." I said and picked them up. I tried to turn them on.

"It's shining." I said as I tried both and then handed one to Dax.

"I think they'll come in handy. It's big dark in here." I whispered and Dax nodded. In that darkness and silence, the slightest whisper was like a loud roar.

Dax slowly opened the door to the hallway. It was dark everywhere.

Dax found the switch with his flashlight and flicked it.

"It doesn't work." he said.

"There should be a main breaker somewhere." I said thoughtfully, running the flashlight over the walls. There was nothing anywhere.

"Maybe it will be outside. These old barracks usually have it outside somewhere."

We walked down the long corridor back to the front door.

Dax opened the door and then stopped me.

"Wait here, just a moment. I'll look around outside and be right back." I nodded and he went out.

The silence seemed to grow louder. I heard my own breath.

Something creaked behind me on the stairs. I immediately turned around and shone my flashlight there.

Nobody was there.

The door behind me opened and Dax returned. He was only gone for about a minute but it was the longest minute of my life. He was holding an old shovel in his hand.

"What's that for?" I asked suspiciously.

"For defense. You never know when it's going to come in handy. I found the circuit breaker. It's in the back by the old tree."

I shind my flashlight on the road. It was getting quite foggy outside and the grass was wet.

We came to a large, old tree. It had a small box on it.

I opened it and Dax was standing behind me and was guarding.

I shined my flashlight, pressed a few levers and it was done.

"Well, it should be working now." I said and closed the box again.

When we got back inside, I clicked the main switch by the door. All the lights turned on.

I squealed with joy but at that moment the lights flashed a few times and went out again.

"Oh no." I said angrily.

I took a few steps forward and looked down the hall.

"Looks like the lights aren't on anywhere." I said and the lock on the door clicked.

"What the hell was that!?" I said and Dax ran to the door.

"Someone locked us in here." he said and a bang sounded from the corridor.

I pointed my flashlight in that direction and Dax stood next to me.

"We should go and have a look there." I said looking at Dax.

"That's a horrible idea." he answered me.

"I know, but I guess there's nothing left for us." I said and we both went out in the direction of the corridor from which the unknown sound was heard a while ago.

We walked slowly down a long corridor that now seemed endless. The door to the room we left a few minutes ago was closed again.

"Why are they closed?" Dax asked quietly, but something else caught my attention.

There was an inscription on the wall just outside the door.

"Dax." I said quietly. He turned to me.

The wallpaper on the wall was torn. In one place even a piece was missing and in that exact place was the inscription.

 In one place even a piece was missing and in that exact place was the inscription

"You're going to die in there." I read the inscription in a low voice. The writing was fresh, the paint still was dripping from it. Or was it blood?

Blood, just like the note that the murdered man had in his hand.

"What does it mean?" Dax asked thoughtfully. But it all hit me at that moment. It was all just a trap...

"It means this.." came from behind us. We both turned around in shock.

The door to the room was open again now even wide open. A man stood in them, or at least it resembled a man's figure.

He stood there, only his eyes reflecting in the flashlight's glow. It was full of madness. The rest of his body was covered with cloth, including the rest of his face. He had something resembling a machete in his hand.

"We've waited so long for you." man said swinging his machete in our direction.

But Dax didn't hesitate and slashed the man with the shovel he brought from outside. Man obviously didn't expect it and fell to the ground. But Dax's wound was so big that the man's head started to flow blood.

"See, I said it would come in handy." Dax said breathlessly and despite all the shock I couldn't help but smile.

I quickly bent down to pick up the man's machete, which fell out of his hand onto the ground.

"Obviously, this will come in handy too." I said. Dax smiled but then said.

"But let's find a way out as quickly as possible."