Way home

Mom came home again quite late, so luckily she didn't notice that I cried almost the whole afternoon.

In the evening I just took a shower, did my homework and fell asleep.

Today I had my first lesson in the back of the school. So I could walk outside in peace and I didn't have to go inside among all the people.

I was almost at the door when Tommy stopped me.

"Mia!" he called as he tried to catch up to me.

"Hi Tommy." I greeted him. I was embarrassed that I left him there yesterday, alone.

"How are you doing?" he asked looking rather worried.

Did someone else really care about me?

"Better, thank you." I answered.

"I'm sorry for what they did to you yesterday."

"That's fine. You can't expect anything else from them." I said and smiled.

"Yeah, I get that. he replied.

"Look, I've got to go now. So tomorrow?" I asked and slowly walked away. I enjoyed talking with Tommy, but I wanted to be away from all the people, in the silence of the classroom.

Tommy just nodded and smiled.

Today, school was quite long, so when I left, almost no one was there.

I left the school and took a deep breath of fresh air.

It was around three o'clock in the afternoon and the streets were almost empty.

But even so, someone was waiting for me.

When I walked a few meters, a smiling Tommy came towards me.

"Tommy, what are you doing here?" I asked in surprise and smiled widely

"Tommy, what are you doing here?" I asked in surprise and smiled widely. It was a nice surprise for me.

"I wanted to wait here for you." he said and I blushed again.

"But you finished school much earlier than I did. You had to wait a long time here." I said guiltily.

"It's okay, I wanted to." he answered and my face was already red burning.

Tommy offered to accompany me home. He said he didn't want anyone to do anything to me again. That was so nice of him.

On the way, even though it was quite short because I didn't live that far away, we talked about various things.

I found out, for example, that Tommy has lived only with his mother since he was little and that his birthday is coming soon. Or that he's crazy about comics. Just such a normal, nice guy.

"Look, I don't want to sound gross, but.. yesterday that boy.. was he right? About what he said about your dad." he asked cautiously.

I hung my head and sighed.

"Unfortunately yes." I said quietly.

"What happened to him?" he asked and immediately added "Well, if it's fine, you don't have to say it if you don't want to."

I looked at him and smiled sadly.

"It's fine. They shot him when I was 13." I answered.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Sometimes it's hard, but somehow mom and I manag." I said by way of explanation. He nodded in understanding and did not elaborate.

We were already at our house and so we said goodbye.

"Don't you want to go to a cafe tomorrow?" he asked me when I was already unlocking the front door. I turned around.

"I'd love to." I said.

"After school of course. he added and I smiled.

"Okay." I said with a laugh.

"Good." he answered and I then went inside.

After such a long time, I think I finally had someone to talk to. I was hoping for it.

I had a new friend.