Escape

Halloween was approaching and the school was getting more and more ready for it. I didn't like school very much, but this was the reason why I always wanted to get out of it even more.

After finishing school, I was really one of the first to leave.

Finally out.

It was around three in the afternoon when I finally had everything ready for school. My phone started ringing. Dax!

I immediately picked it up.

"Hiii, how are you?" I exclaimed excitedly. I was so happy that he finally called me.

"Helloo, it works. I found a part-time job in a bookstore." he answered me. I was proud of him.

"That's great. And what does it look like there? Tell me." I answered him.

"You'd like it here. It's full of books. It's like a paradise for you." he said and laughed. He just knew what I like.

"But it's slowly getting ready for Halloween here. Cobwebs, spiders, skeletons, etc."

Brrr, Halloween.

"Mia? Are you still there?" he asked when I didn't answer for a while.

"Yes, I am." I answered.

"Great. I'll have to finish, but I'll be sure to call you yet."

"Okay, have a good time."

"You too." he said and put it down.

I put my phone on the table and lay down on the bed. I had nothing to do, so I finally took a book from the shelf and started reading.

Third person perspective:

It was four o'clock in the afternoon and the small bookstore on the outskirts of town was still open.

A boy and a girl were sitting at a large table in the middle of the room.

They were discussing some trip data. They were looking at the monitor where the article was. An article about the fact that a certain murderer escaped.

They sat there for about half an hour when the girl asked.

"Do you really want to drive away there?"

"Yeah, I want to. I finally saved enough to go back."

"But it's going to be Halloween, Dax." said the girl, she didn't like that he had to drive away somewhere.

"I know, that's why. She's pretty scared of Halloween. That's why I have to leave. The murderer that killed her dad escaped." he said and the girl sighed.

"But she managed it on her own until now."

"Of course, but she doesn't feel that well anymore. She can look whatever she wants, but I can see it in her. And if she finds out about this, it will be even worse. Look, I know what it's like, I've experienced it too and it's not pleasant." he explained.

"You haven't been there for three years, surely she's found someone else by now." the girl said and the boy looked down.

"Look, I know you don't like it. But there was an attack in Odessa, plus the bastard ran away and she's home alone all day. And you know very well how things go in horror movies, just like me."

"Murderer always comes back to the scene." the girl replied.

"So you see." said the boy. The girl sighed.

"Okay, when are you leaving?"

"At Friday afternoon."

Mia's POV:

I closed the book and returned it to its place. It was already seven o'clock in the evening when my mom knocked on the door from my room.

"Yes?" I asked and she opened the door. She looked worried.

"What happened?" I asked sitting on the bed. Mom closed the door and sat next to me.

"Mia, I have something to tell you." she started. I knew it wouldn't be good. The last time when she came like this, dad...

"The murderer who killed dad, escaped." Mom said quickly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What!?" I said confused.

"Heard it on the local news. He escaped this morning."

I didn't know what to say.

It was a shock to me.