Explosion

We slowly walked up the stairs. The higher we went, the more blood there was. The stairs, which a moment ago were still beautifully clean as if they were not even from this house, were now dirty with blood.

The door to the basement was gone. We didn't understand how someone could do it so quickly and quietly.

Dax went first and I walked next to him.

Blood was pooling in front of the door that was now gone. When we went all the way up, it only took a few steps for us to catch a glimpse of the horror.

A woman was lying on the ground with a cut wound on her head, she was the one I cut with a machete.

But now she was lying on the ground... cut to pieces.

I screamed in horror, put my hand to my lips in shock, and Dax immediately grabbed me in a hug.

Dax tried to hide me in his arms as much as possible so I wouldn't see the horror. But that look is etched deep in my memory.

I closed my eyes and tried not to look at it, meanwhile Dax held me tight and stroked my head to calm me down.

I hated murder, blood, horror movies, but seeing it all live like this was much worse.

My panic was getting worse every moment. What I told Dax in the basement a moment ago about our survival, felt now like one big lie.

If they could do this to their accomplice, what will they be able to do to us..

Dax slowly led me back to the basement stairs, we had to stay there.

When we were down again, we sat together on the ground. My head was resting on Dax's shoulder. I felt sick.

Dax obviously knew what I was thinking and whispered in my ear.

"Don't think about it, okay? It's gone now. You can't think about it, that's what they want." he said and I nodded my head slightly.

"What are we going to do, Dax?" I asked him desperately.

"We'll wait, the more time we get the better. We'll survive, don't worry." he said leaning his head against mine.

"Then I wouldn't count on it." came the voice at the far end of the basement. We were both on our feet immediately.

Three figures emerged from the shadows. When Dax saw them, he stepped in front of me to protect me, machete in hand.

 When Dax saw them, he stepped in front of me to protect me, machete in hand

They were three men in red masks with giant knives. Dax seemed slightly flustered and the men lined up next to each other.

"Do you remember, boy? That fateful evening and the red mask?" one of them said and Dax made his hand a fist in.

A fateful evening? So his mother was killed by a man in a red mask..

"What the hell do you want from us?" Dax said in frustration, put up the machete in front of himself.

"Do you think one little boy with a machete he can't even use it, and one little girl who has nothing and is just afraid are going to do something to us?" said the one in the middle, laughing loudly.

I looked around quickly. I was looking for something to defend myself with.

"There are more of us than you, you don't stand a chance." someone else said.

There was a box directly behind me. I discreetly took a step back. There was some kind of explosive..

"You will die here today!" one shouted, jumping on Dax. The man knocked him to the ground and now he was lying on top of him.

I didn't wait for anything and I reached for one of the things and unlocked the fuse.

Dax had just miraculously managed to kick the guy off of him.

I threw the thing towards the others.

"Dax, watch out!" I screamed as the thing hit the ground and exploded.

There was dust and the smell of blood everywhere. I squinted my eyes through the cloud of dust when I saw Dax lying on the ground not far from me.

He was getting up!

"Dax!" I screamed and ran to him.

Dax coughed loudly and struggled to get up. His T-shirt and face were all covered in blood. He was closer to the guys so most of the blood ended up on him.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I ran up to him.

"Yeah." he said, standing up heavily.

"What? What is wrong with you?" I said scared. Dax obviously had something wrong with his leg.

"It's good." he said but as he tried to take a step he almost fell.

I caught him and helped him stand properly.

"We have to go up, can you make it?" I asked and he nodded. He was still obviously shaken.

I supported him and together we slowly walked up the stairs.

I found an empty room where no one was and I sat Dax on the chairs.

"You need to get some rest. Sorry you're covered in blood." I said breathlessly. It was a big effort for me, but I couldn't leave him there. The basement ceiling could cave in at any moment. Although we lost all our weapons, I still didn't want to leave Dax anywhere alone, to be killed.

Dax looked at me strangely.

"What?" I asked when I noticed his look.

"Why did you do that? Why did you save me?" he asked in surprise.

"I couldn't leave you there, you would have done it for me too. You actually already did it in that living room, remember?" I asked and he nodded.

"Fine, if we didn't kill them, they would kill us. Although it was disgusting, and we lost our weapons, but I had to do it." I said and he looked at me with a rather strange expression. Like he didn't know what to say next.

 Like he didn't know what to say next

I smiled and sat down next to him.

"I'd never leave you, Dax, you know that." I said still smiling.

I was tired both physically and mentally, and maybe it was the evening or Dax, but I didn't mind the fact, that we had so much blood on us. I leaned carefully against his shoulder and closed my eyes for a moment.

The break didn't even last ten minutes, when more loud noises came from behind the hallway door.