▸ thirty-nine

Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth, a beautiful illusion that conceals deeper realities and emotions. It has the power to deceive our senses while revealing our innermost concerns and fears, allowing us to confront the complexities of our existence in a way that raw reality often cannot.

❞

Aurelia ran to the bathroom after Arthur left her there. She just wanted to understand the situation, and now she has an idea. Elijah can't just leave. Up and leaving mean everything he worked so hard to build on his own will be snatched right from his fingertips. He has to have the right timing, or better yet, he has to stay and figure out a way he could be free from his family with that risk of losing everything.

The way Arthur talked to her, shoved her, she can't imagine what Elijah had and still has to go through with his brother. She doesn't even know how Andrew dealt with this. She rinses her face and uses paper towels to pat her face dry. She looked better than she did a few moments ago. She looks in her tote bag for the micro point pens she borrowed and left the bathroom.

When she gets to Sunny's office, she puts the pens on his desk and thanks him before exiting the building. When she's outside she takes a deep breath and begins walking along the path.

"Aye!" cheers could be heard, as well as music playing.

Curious, Aurelia follows the cheers and it leads her to an archway, that's an entrance to a space in the middle of the performing art department. Aurelia watches people cheer on the dancers. As she lingers behind, watching from afar, a hand taps her shoulder making her look behind her.

"Aurelia right?" Sean, Andrew's friend, also the same one who decided to do the unthinkable on her bed when she used to live with Jackie.

"Yes." She said firmly with no smile.

Sean looks around before he takes a deep breath before handing her a small envelope. "Can you give this to Drew?"

It felt heavy. "What is it?"

Sean clears his throat, as if that would cause him to not mumble. "Something he asked for from someone else."

Aurelia nods and puts it in her tote bag before turning back to the dancing. Sean stands there, he didn't walk away, and it was making her uncomfortable. She turns to look at him, crossing her arms as she raises an eyebrow.

"What?"

Sean scratches the back of his neck and sighs. "Sorry about that thing I did back then... when Jackie was cool or whatever. It was... disrespectful. It was Genesis' Idea, but that's no excuse. I should've said no."

Aurelia searches his eyes, trying to see if he was serious. For once, in a while, she could say that someone who hangs around Aiden is definitely genuine. Sean looks remorseful, though his reasoning could use some work, she appreciates that he apologizes to her.