▸ forty-two

▬

Elijah gets out of his car and walks towards the tall doors to his mother's home. In his mother's driveway, there is an unfamiliar car parked. Now that he's aware of this, he knows that someone is present. Someone he does not know. Walking up to the door, the people outside open the door for him and he enters. Elijah walks through the empty corridor and towards the Tall doors leading to the back of the house. He received a message from his mother telling him she is sitting out in the lounge area outside.

As he opens the door he stops when he sees a gray and black haired male holding a cigarette in one hand while the other holds his mother close by the waist. His mother wore a nude dress, a kind you would only wear to a fancy dinner party. What is going on?

"Mother?"

The man whose back is facing him, slightly glances over his shoulder, giving Elijah only a view of his side profile. His mother walks towards him, greeting him with a kiss to his cheek. She smiles and light pulls him forward to greet the stranger.

"This is my fiancé, and your soon to be step father, Marcello. He's a businessman and the CEO of one of the companies I'm partnered with. We met at one of my events." she introduced them, a smile spreads across her face as Marcello slowly turns around.

"You must be Elijah." He says, still not turning to look at him completely.

"How did you know!" his mother says excitedly.

"Well, Arthur is the famous one right?" He taps his cigarette, causing the ash to fall to the ground.

His mother thought that was so funny, hitting the man's arm before holding on to him. Marcello turns around completely, standing taller than him. "Well, Elijah, nice to finally meet you."

"Likewise..." He murmurs, causing the tension to rise. "Mother, can I speak to you alone?"

Marcello looks down at his feet, chuckling softly before kissing the side of my mother's head. "I'll be in the dining hall."

As the tall male walks back inside. Elijah takes a deep breath before crossing his arms. "How long have you been dating this guy?"

His mother's lip curls before she left out an soft disingenuous laugh. She walks towards him and plays her hand on his cheek. "My sweet boy, asking about his mother's dating life."

"I'm serious. Tell me." Elijah moves his head away, instantly stopping his mother from touching him.

She sighs and crosses her arms. "A year."

Eli eyes widen before he looks around, looking at everyone but his mother. How could she have been with Marcello for a year when she was also sleeping with Sunny on multiple occasions.

"Then why meet with Sunny? Huh?" He questions quietly not trying to expose his mother's wrongdoings to her soon to be husband who was waiting inside.

"You don't need to know everything. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to discuss why I asked you to make an appearance." She dismisses his question and completely shuts him down.