▸ forty

Passion and love are like art; they can fade and drift away into the deep, dark abyss. Similarly, relationships can drown in the currents of time, losing their fervor and intensity. Both require constant nurturing and attention to sustain their vibrancy and life.

❞

Andrew stares at her. His tired brown eyes burn holes in her face as she stands next to the running water coming from the kitchen sink faucet. In her right hand is the bag full of pills in her hand. The colorful pills that she knows are drugs. The drugs people take on campus at campus parties. The parties Andrew goes to all the time.

"Be honest with me." She speaks calmly even though she's angry. More so angry at Sean for even giving her the bag to begin with. Especially when he knew what was inside.

The energy in the kitchen is full of tension, and she could tell that from his silence that her assumptions are correct. She couldn't believe this is what he decided to do, even after everything she has done so far to try to help him. Andrew didn't say anything, he just stood there, and before she knew it, Elijah was coming through the door holding pizza boxes and a case of water.

"I'm back," he announces, not noticing the tension. "My phone died before I could... answer?"

The blonde looks at Aurelia's hand. He walks towards her and grips her wrist gently and looks over it. Examining the faint mark around her wrist. It's bruised. She didn't even notice it until now. Elijah drops her wrist and stares at the pill bag now.

"What the fuck is going on?" Elijah demands, staring at Andrew, making the male tilt his head before looking between the two. "Why is her wrist bruised? Drew what the hell is happening?"

Aurelia could tell that this is putting him on spot. Something she didn't want to happen but in order for Andrew to live happily, doing the one thing he loves, he got to ask for help. Explain why he's doing these things. Both her and Elijah just want him happy.

"Nothing's happening. I didn't even know her wrist was bruised. I just need my package and then I can leave." Andrew says taking a step forward, but Elijah stops him.

"Are you... no. No." Elijah shakes his head and frowns. She has seen him upset before, but this is different. She could tell he's more than upset.

"Are you doing them? Again?" Elijah asks right away, watching Drew expression darken.

"Are you seriously asking me that?" Drew looks offended, and she could tell from his fidgeting that he wasn't comfortable. "You think I'm doing drugs?"

"How do you explain this then? Why is it that she found pills? Huh?" Elijah asks, crossing his arms, his eyes showing more of his concern for Andrew than anger.

"I didn't find them," Aurelia tells him while looking at the bag. "Sean told me to give them to him. I didn't know what I was giving him until I looked in the bag."