▸ forty-seven

Aurelia laughs as Vinny spins her around for the fifth time to a song that they should not be slow dancing for. After the next song begins to play, Aurelia shakes her head with a smile on her face.

"No," she pulls her hand away. "I thought you said that you can dance."

Vinny holds both hands over his heart. "Here I am breaking a sweat and you just bluntly said I can't dance."

Her mouth falls open. "I didn't say that!"

"Technically, you did." He leans down, his lips slightly away from her ear. "Besides, if I really dance, it'll draw more attention to us. I doubt you would want that."

Aurelia smiles and looks down at her feet. It didn't matter to her, but she took note that he's considerate of her feelings. "Well, you aren't a bad person. Like a few people I met from your department. Maybe there aren't so many rotten apples in the basket."

"See," he grins as an actual slow jam begins to play. He pulls her in gently, not leaving any space between them. "We aren't all so bad."

"I guess so." She laughs softly, looking around, seeing as the dance floor gets clearer.

"Well since you know I am a dancer here? What are you?" He asks her, making her grin this time.

"Can you guess?"

"Judging from your outfit right now, my guest would be a Fashion major, but seeing that you are dressed in a costume, kind of, you are definitely an art major." He guesses correctly, smiling widely because he knows he got it right.

"Well, yes. I am an Art Major. My first year." She looks down at her feet again, making sure she doesn't step on his feet. "Which makes me a freshman."

Vinny's eyes widen before he tilts his head. "You're a freshman? Wow. I thought you were at most in your third year here."

She shakes her head. "I just started, which makes this Halloween thing my first."

The male smiles and shakes his head, the slow music stops and the fast tempo music starts again. The floor got crowded again, but they still had their respectable space.

Vinny steps back, his hand still on her waist. "Well, I'm in my third year. This is my third time coming to this event. But my first time meeting someone as beautiful as you."

Aurelia's smile slightly fades. "Liar. There are hundreds of beautiful people here now."

"But you're the only one that caught my eye." He grins, making eye contact with her. It was too soon. Her heart isn't racing but her body temperature is rising.

Vinny pulls her in again, his hands roaming to her lower back and they linger there. "I'm surprised you didn't know me. I've made a name for myself. Especially in the dance scene. Probably the best there is right now."