▸ forty-five

▬

Aurelia watches the artistic clock tick while waiting for Sunny in his office. He stepped away for a moment to make a phone call. Aurelia told him she didn't mind, but she had been sitting in the office for fifteen minutes with no sign of the man anywhere. She looks around on his desk for sticky notes. When she finds them, the picture on the file cabinet behind his chair catches her attention. It was a picture of Sunny and an elderly woman. She was in a wheelchair, with a breathing mask on. She looked happy though. Seeing the picture made her smile.

"My grandmother used to be the art department leader." Sunny speaks, making her flinch before turning around. She stares at the man apologetically and clears her throat.

"I didn't mean to snoop, I was just going to write you a note letting you know I left. I just saw it there." She explains, causing Sunny to shake his head, walking around the desk to take the picture.

"I hadn't expected the call to go on for so long, you're fine." Sunny puts the picture on his desk while Aurelia takes a seat. "Anyway, I called you here because I have a job offer for you."

"R-Really?" She smiles and scoots closer, causing the male to chuckle at her excitement.

"Yeah, this client really liked your painting for Arthur's class. He wants to buy it off your hands and have you make another painting for him as a wedding gift to his wife-to-be." He explains making her clap her hands excitedly.

"He loved my exam painting? Really?" She asks, and he nods, scrolling through his emails while looking at the monitor on his desk.

"His exact words were that your painting is elegant, pure, but quite mature. He loved it, and offered forty thousand for it, but he will give you fifty if you work on the painting he plans to give to his wife. He didn't give me the specifics of what he wanted, he just told me to tell you, paint something emotional. Something that will make his new wife feel all sorts of emotions."

Aurelia smiles and stands from her chair and walks around Sunny's desk to hug him. "Thank you thank you!"

He shakes his head. "Of course, you have plenty of time to finish the painting, he gets married at the end of January next year, so take your time yeah?"

She nods and grabs her tote bag. "Let him know I'll take the job. Also, see you tonight at the Halloween event, Sunny."

"Yeah," he chuckles, looking at her with a certain look. "You look different these days."

She tilts her head, "I do? I mean I did change my hair. Is that what you mean?"

He shakes his head, tapping his pen on the desk lightly. Dragging his eyes away from her before sitting up. "Your hair is an obvious change, but when I first met you, you were timid and not confident in your abilities at all. Now, you're the complete opposite. It's attractive."