Chapter 30

Amelia was proud of herself, her eyes fixed on her cauldron as it bubbled happily along. Not even the cold classroom of potions could deter her focus or her desire for Snape's approval. If you could earn his approval, you were truly excelling.

The only thing bothering her were the stupid badges. Many Slytherins and other students were wearing them, which upset her more than she'd like. Seeing that "Potter stinks" crap, even Cedric didn't like it, the only one who seemed to reprimand a few for wearing it.

Amelia shook the thought away; she needed to focus. The last few steps were important, or the Skele-Gro potion would turn lethal. She grabbed the grounded bone, pinching it slowly into the potion.

The book said to add it by teaspoon amounts, but that's nonsense. It's only there to reduce the time. She had read from multiple credible sources, mainly the inventor of this potion, Linfred of Stinchcombe, that it was better to do it by pinches.

"Making modifications, are we?" Snape said from behind her.

It scared her. The man could appear like a ghost and scare the wits out of you. She had to steel herself or she would have dumped the entire grounded bone powder into her cauldron.

"Yes, sir. It's better to do it this way."

"How incredible your talents are, Miss Black. To just make changes as you see fit," Snape said with a cold voice. The professor glanced into the cauldron, raising his brow ever so slightly.

"No, sir. I didn't just do it out of whimsical pleasure," Amelia answered, carefully adding the powdered bone while stirring. "I read it from a tome written by the maker. A very interesting read. He gave various tips on making potions. Many outdated, of course, but a few of them were actually quite smart and handy."

"How refreshing for once to have a competent brewer with the proper respect for this art. Unlike some who read and skip lines in the hope to succeed, not even making an effort to take their studies seriously. Ten points to Slytherin." His voice sounded as if he wasn't looking at her anymore. She couldn't tell; her eyes were focused on her own potion. But she could hear someone gritting their teeth together. Or it was just her imagination.

It was then she finished it. A happy smile on her face as she turned the flame off. She thought it was perfect, but it was not for her to grade it. Their practical was earlier this year due to the tournament. But she was confident. She was confident in her brew. Now that she thought about it, it was odd for Snape to comment on her during a test.

The rest of the tests would be on the day before and of the third task. It was quite a year. She met and visited her grandmother in Feldcroft. Perhaps she could have her meet the Grangers. Amelia imagined she and her guardians would get along fine.

She also kept practicing her Apparating skills in her free time, which were limited to the Hogsmeade visits. Usually, it would result in a loud crack like lightning, but now she managed to limit it to a small bang. Still not very sneaky, but progress.

It was unfortunate that her training didn't allow her to meet with Sirius, who had come to Hogsmeade apparently. But it was fine. The year was ending, and she could meet him afterward, somehow. Perhaps even visit him, wherever he lived at the moment. Amelia soon left with the rest of the students.

"Went pretty well," Amelia said.

"I think I messed up several steps," Henry grumbled. "Seriously, I was shaking as Snape passed me. That man shouldn't be a teacher."

"At least he keeps the unsavory parts of the house in line," Daphne noted, her nose slightly crunched up as they passed a silver-haired boy. "I swear the stink is strongest here. My goodness... oh, it's just the ferret."