Chapter 31

There's always something worth living for.

Amelia found that out after having to seek it out herself. Her guardians, Hermione, the dreams of the outside world. She was sure that every person has a reason to want to live. That made it hard to be at the end of the year feast. For this didn't feel like a feast at all.

Her year ended with excellent grades. Similarly to Hermione with the exception of care for magical creatures. Amelia held a terrible grade for that class. Despite it being the easiest yet for some reason, she couldn't do it. At the very least, she managed to figure out the trick to get perfect grades with Divination.

Think of the most horrible death you could think of and write that down. Surprisingly enough, that made you pass without even trying. She certainly was glad to get that piece of advice from Harry and Ron.

But now the hall was gripped with a heavy air that felt much like a funeral. The few conversations that were held quieted as Dumbledore stood up, standing in front of the teachers to adres them.

"The end of another year," he said, looking around the Great Hall. "There is much I would like to say to you all tonight. But I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who would be sitting here-" he gestures toward the Hufflepuffs "- enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

All of them stood up, even among the Slytherins none were sitting. In one loud voice in an imagery of unity they said "Cedric Diggory."

"Cedric was a person who exemplified the qualities which distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore spoke again. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think you have the right to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

The name caused mutterings of fear and panic amongst the students. Less so among the Slytherins yet Daphne and Henry looked struck by fear. The name held less meaning for her but she knew what it meant. The dark wizard who caused death innumerable times. There were many who must have lost someone at his hands.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so. Either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as a result of an accident, or some blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

This government doesn't have much checks and balances, Amelia thought. How could one man have so much power? Seems ill advised to say the least. Dumbledore watched as the students mutter amongst themselves, trying to wrap their heads around it probably. Yet Amelia found her friends turned in on themselves. They were horrified at the prospect of Voldemort returning.

"There is someone else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death. I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter," Dumbledore continued. "Harry managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him."

The hall followed Dumbledore's lead in raising their cup again. It's only at the Slytherin table that a mere three persons followed. Amelia couldn't fathom why people wouldn't show respect. It's a great deed what Harry did.

"Every guest in this hall," Dumbledore continued soon enough, glancing their way round Durmstrang, "will be welcomed back here, at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again- in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, we are as weak as we are divided."