Chapter 34

Hermione clung to her, a bright smile plastered on her face.

One would say she even glued herself to her. And Amelia was beaming with pride, making sure to keep Hermione as close as she could. Ron didn't say anything, just sat there while reading some book about Quidditch.

Amelia was happy to receive Hermione's affection. Yet after thirty minutes, her arm was getting tired and blood wasn't flowing well. Besides, Molly was very kind to bring them snacks, but her arms were occupied. Her hunger crept in, making her feel sad to see the snacks in front of her.

In time, she managed to free herself from the loving embrace. She soon found herself wandering through the house after stifling her hunger. Hermione kept to her room, wishing to catch up on some reading before dinner. Amelia didn't mind, her mind taking in the many artifacts and heirlooms of the Black family.

The only unsettling trophies or decorations—she wasn't sure—were the many heads of elves. Amelia wasn't sure why anyone would want that in their house. The first thing she would have done was get rid of them. With a curious gaze and slow pace, she went by the various rooms, walking over the thin and worn carpets. Eventually, she came into a larger room.

It wasn't the worst-off room in the house. The walls were mostly intact and easily repairable by magic. There was a slight hint of numerous doxies in this room. The obvious place with the most activity was the curtains. She should bring over one of her Venomous Tentacula. It would get rid of them quite easily, or she could have used the Knockback Jinx if she could use magic.

Her eyes drifted over the left side first, a sensation catching her attention. There was a soft whispering of sorts. The cabinets that lined the walls were filled with many potion ingredients. A box of Wartcap powder, a very useful ingredient for Fire Protection Potion.

But it was amongst the snake skins and broken metallic decorations that she heard it. Soft whispering, like hisses. Her hand touched a locket, curious why the sounds were coming from it.

The locket was beautifully made. Its edges were laden with gold, and the center held some kind of glass-like crystal. In the center of the crystal, an "S" was visible. Almost like a serpent in a way. She wanted to lift it to her ear, to hear what it said. Just before she could, Sirius interrupted her, startling her half to death in the process.

"Careful with what you touch, it may just cause some pain. My parents were quite the collectors of dark objects," he said, stepping toward her as he gazed over the various cabinets. There were clear signs of distaste for them on Sirius' face. Perhaps even some sort of hate.

"Well, most of these are pretty useful for potions. Especially these snake skins and Wartcap powder. Not sure what those broken things are supposed to be, though. Oh! Look here—" Amelia dropped down a little, staring at a magnificent cauldron set. She dropped the locket on an open table.

"Look at this beauty! Do you know how well-made this is? I am certain the potion—oh goodness—it even has a charm that tells you what to add! How useful!"

Sirius watched with a raised eyebrow, amused yet also looking at the items with renewed interest. It was pretty obvious he wanted no reminders of his family. And to be honest, these were stamped with the family crest at the bottom. Not as visible as those on the dinner plates, but clearly marked.

"Well, you can have it if you want. That trinket you had too. Seemed you had taken a fancy to it," he said with a sigh so deep, Amelia thought he was exhausted. "I heard you talking to my mother."

"Ah, and?"

"I appreciated every word. And I am very impressed you managed to silence my mother," he said, laughing at the memory. "I never could. Made her angry for certain. Definitely with me in Gryffindor and Muggle posters. Ah—yes—I grew up here. It's now mine though," he said as he saw the questioning gaze of Amelia.