TWENTY SEVEN

As soon as the knife cut my thumb, tears spilled out of my eyes as fast as the blood did. I ran to the bathroom, knowing Eva wouldn't follow because she hates blood. She gets numb at the sight of it, and I understand.

I close the door behind me, feeling the tears roll down my cheeks. Running my thumb under the water, I gasp as it burns. Ouch. A sharp pinch twists in my stomach. I never cut myself while cooking—if there's one thing I learned from my brother, it's how to handle a really sharp knife. But I was shaking because of what Jack said on the phone, and I couldn't concentrate anymore.

I'm not sure if I'm crying because I'm sad that Jack is going on a date or because I cut myself. One thing I know for sure is that both reasons hurt like a bitch.

Two knocks on the door are followed by Cole's voice. "Hey, can I come in?"

I hesitate for a moment before answering. "Yeah, it's open."

Cole steps in, his expression softening when he sees my tear-streaked face and bleeding thumb. "Hey, let me see," he says gently, taking my hand and examining the cut. "It's not too deep, but it definitely needs a bandage."

He rummages through the medicine cabinet, grunting in frustration as he can't find much since Eva and Trevor are still moving in. The only thing he can find is a box of band-aids, which isn't ideal but will have to do for now.

"Hold still," Cole says, his voice calm and steady. He takes my hand gently and carefully wraps a band-aid around my thumb, doing his best to stop the bleeding. "It's not perfect, but it should hold until we can find something better."

"Thanks," I whisper, my voice shaky.

Cole looks at me with concern. "You okay? I mean, besides the cut."

I sit down on the floor, my head resting against the wall, my eyes still wet from the tears. "I'm just tired from the flight and everything. That's why I'm emotional." I wipe one last tear away with a weak smile, and Cole sits on the toilet in front of me, his hands resting on my knees, offering a warm, grounding touch.

I remember back in the day, Cole used to be my biggest confidant. I told him everything, and he always listened without judgment. He's someone you can trust, a rock in the chaos.

I take a deep breath, feeling the weight of my emotions pressing down on me. "I don't know," I admit. "I just... I wasn't expecting Jack to say that. It threw me off."

Cole chuckles softly. "It was pretty obvious" 

I look up at him, surprised by his insight. "How did you know?"

"I've known you for a while now. You're not as good at hiding your feelings as you think." he gently wiggles my legs from side to side. I laugh a little still a bit sad. 

"Are you scared?" he asks suddenly.

"Scared of what?" I ask, not sure what he means.

"Scared of finally leaving Jack behind and moving on," he adds.

It's like I want to say something, but the words won't come out. My throat feels tight, and my mind is a jumble of thoughts. Cole sees my struggle and continues, his voice gentle but firm.

"Jack is one of my best friends, but that doesn't make any difference. Look at you, don't forget what he did to you. He was always scared to commit to you, and you know that. You don't have to hurt anymore. One day you'll find your person. You have to stop thinking that he'll change. You're asking for too much."