TWO

"Gosh, faster M." Jack yells, yanking on my arm as we sprint away from... whatever we were sprinting away from. I can't help but burst into laughter. "Slow down, Jack! My heels!" I manage to gasp out between giggles.

Like why are we in a rush right now?

As we skid to a stop near the water, Jack turns around, scanning the area behind us to make sure we're not being pursued. He doubles over, hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "Well, for a professional hockey player, you've got pretty lousy cardio," I tease, kicking off my shoes and joining him.

"Fuck, that was Jamie's cousin," Jack exclaims, straightening up and placing his hands on his hips.

Got it. 

As Jack and I catch our breath by the water's edge, the adrenaline of our impromptu escape still coursing through our veins, I can't help but chuckle at the absurdity of the situation. Here we are, two grown adults, running like madmen in our fancy attire, all because of some unforeseen drama at the wedding.

The brunette, aka his fake girlfriend, turns out to be Jamie's cousin. For the past two hours, I've been dancing like a crazy chick on the dance floor, making new friends and letting loose. I'll blame it on the alcohol tomorrow when I cringe at the memories of tonight.

Meanwhile, Jack has been desperately trying to shake off the brunette, who's been clinging to him like a barnacle on a boat. Even when he attempted to escape to the restroom, she followed him like a lovesick puppy. So when he saw an opportunity, he seized it, catching me by surprise and urging me to follow him. And now, here we are, catching our breath and trying to make sense of the chaos that just unfolded.

As we walk along the little trail, I run my hand along the bushes, feeling the cool leaves brush against my fingertips. Jack keeps glancing around nervously, as if he's afraid the brunette will appear out of nowhere.

This wedding hasn't exactly gone according to plan, but I can't deny that there's something strangely exhilarating about it all.

The plan was to not speak to Jack, but we all know that that was way too ambitious. Honestly, I'm not even angry with him. I never was. If anything, it was him who was angry, and I was just too embarrassed to face him. After that night, he never reached out or texted me. It's like he disappeared, but I know he didn't because I hear his name everywhere I go. 

And it hurts, it hurts so much. 

That's why I bought a ticket to Europe. I couldn't bear to be around him anymore, knowing that it was all my fault. It's too late to apologize now. I've started to accept that he'll just keep popping in and out of my life like a drive-thru window.

As I walk alongside Jack, the weight of my own actions weighs heavy on my mind. How can I be angry at anyone when I know I'm the one to blame? It's a bitter pill to swallow, but I raise a silent toast to myself, acknowledging my own faults.

Sure, I hated the way he last talked to me, but deep down, I knew he was hurt and angry. And who could blame him? I let him down, and the guilt gnaws at me with every step we take along this trail. But there's no point about looking in my rearview mirror here and dwelling on the past. All I can do now is accept my mistakes and try to move forward, even if it feels like I'm stumbling blindly into the unknown.

"Oh my god," Jack gasps suddenly, coming to a stop in his tracks. "What?" I ask, curiosity piqued, but he's already moving again, striding purposefully toward a nearby deck. "It looks just like the lake back in Michigan," he says, pointing out at the view in front of us.

I join him at the edge of the deck, taking in the serene sight before us. The calm waters of the lake stretch out in front of us, illuminated by the soft glow of the moon overhead. Despite the distant sounds of the wedding party behind us, there's a peaceful stillness that envelops us as we stand there, soaking in the beauty of the moment.