TWENTY TWO

JACK'S POV

I've never opened my door that hard before, probably startled the neighbors, but tonight, that door's staying wide open. Slam! As it closes behind me, there's Morgan, and for a moment, we just stand there facing each other. We're both so wasted, but we both know this couldn't happen if we were sober. No way.

Her boob rises and falls with each breath, perfectly in sync with her teasing gaze. Her hair's already a mess, and it's only going to get worse. I just hope I've got a decent hairbrush hidden somewhere in this place, or she'll be cursing me come morning.

A moment ago, we were laughing on the street, both knowing exactly what we were rushing towards. What we've both been craving for what feels like forever. I mean, now, looking at each other, people might think, "What are you waiting for? Just do it already!" But it's not that simple. We stand there in silence, because we both know what's about to happen. We're about to throw away our friendship by crossing this line, and deep down, we both know that's the truth.

I might not think about her all the time in my daily routine, but with her standing there in that little costume... damn, I want her. It's that rush, that feeling that's been missing. I'm not trying to get all romantic or anything, and I hope she knows that.

Please, let her know, because if not, we're headed for disaster. If we go through with this again, our friendship won't make it. And now I'm thinking, is it all worth it, or is it just the alcohol talking? This is why I swore off drinking like that.

But it's that feeling of power, you know? I had it over her, over every inch of her. She was mine, well, not entirely mine, but I knew she chose me over him, Braden. Otherwise, she'd be with him right now.

But I won, once again.

I'm scanning her face, taking in every feature like she's some rare piece of art. But she is, she looks like an angel. I don't have to search far to remember why I was mesmerized the first time I saw her back in high school. It's like all the beauty in the world converged in her, and right now, standing here, she's as captivating as ever.

As she closes her eyes, her back against the door, the apartment falls into a strange silence. But in my head, there's this voice, like a woman singing. It's soft, like a mermaid's song, a comforting hum, a melody that wraps around me.

I'm freaking out. My hands start to shake, but she can see it, even with her eyes closed. I know she feels how febrile I am. There's this vulnerability between us, this unspoken tension. And in that moment, I realize... I might be falling for her. Hard.

It's hitting me harder than ever, this rush of feelings for her. What is she doing to me? It's like she's casting some kind of spell, turning my world upside down. There's this anger simmering inside me because I swore I wouldn't let her get to me again. Yet here I am, on the brink of doing the dumbest thing imaginable. It's like she has this power over me, and I hate myself for letting it happen all over again.

When she opens her eyes again, it's like witnessing the birth of an angel. I feel a gasp escape my lips as I surrender to the moment, letting go of all our boundaries. Closing the gap between us, my hands find their way into her hair, and our lips meet in a collision of desire and longing.

I won't apologize for my desire.

This kiss, it's unlike anything I've ever felt before. It's like every nerve ending in my body is electrified, sparking with the intensity of our connection. I could probably cry from the sheer overwhelming emotion of it all, but I won't. Because this is just two consenting friends, giving in to their desires.

"What were you waiting for," she breathes out between our kisses as we stumble across my apartment, our excitement palpable and unable to be contained. It's like we've both been holding our breath for this moment, and now that it's here, there's no stopping us.