NINE

I've gotta hand it to Sam, seriously, the Bauer campaign? That's been one of my all-time favorites.

"Sam, you're a genius," I say, casually draping my arm over her shoulder.

She looks at me with stars in her eyes, a smile forming on her lips. "I know," she responds confidently. Then, her expression softens as she continues, "Well, sometimes you should learn how to take risks."

I cough, caught off guard by her remark. Maybe I've been playing it too safe lately, burned by past risks. 

As we're finishing up the second day of shooting for the campaign, I spot Ced, Cale, and Jack laughing in the corner of the room.

"Hey, you girls coming to brunch?" Ben, one of the crew who's been with us these past days, asks.

I glance at Sam, trying to gauge her response, and then casually drop something into the box. She seems unsure, torn between saying yes or no. "Um, who's coming?" I inquire, hoping for more details.

He scans the room as if trying to recall the guest list. "Pretty much everyone." 

As I contemplate whether to extend the day with a brunch, a familiar pang of solitude tugs at me. With each passing day, I find myself increasingly drawn to solitude. It's a new dilemma I'm facing. Once I've savored the tranquility of solitary moments, I'm hesitant to share them with anyone else.

After a moment of contemplation, I meet Sam's gaze and find a silent agreement reflected in her eyes. With a determined nod, I make my decision. "You know what? Let's do it. Brunch sounds like a great idea," I say, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

Ben beams in response, his enthusiasm infectious. "Awesome! It'll be a nice way to unwind after these intense days," he says, his excitement palpable.

Sam gently close the lid of the box we had been dropping items into, her movements deliberate yet fluid. Meanwhile, I instinctively reach for my bag, slinging it over my shoulder as I prepare to depart from the arena.

With synchronized movements, we gather our belongings, ensuring nothing is left behind. Sam tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear, while I adjust the strap of my bag, ensuring it sits comfortably against my side.

As Sam and I step out into the parking lot, Laura, one of the crew girls, catches up with us, her phone in hand.

"Hey, you guys headed to brunch too?" Laura asks, her tone upbeat.

We nod eagerly, and Laura quickly pulls up the address on her phone. "Here, it's just a few blocks away," she says, handing us her phone with a grin.

"Awesome, thanks!" Sam chirps, quickly snapping a picture of the address with her phone.

With the address locked in, we exchange quick thanks with Laura before she heads back inside, leaving us ready to hit the road for some well-deserved grub.

As we drive away, I feel Sam's eyes on me from the corner of my vision. "What's on your mind, Sam?"

She laughs softly, glancing away. "Nothing much. Just thinking about how cool you are," she says, a playful smirk dancing on her lips.

Cool? Me? I can't help but chuckle at the thought. High school me would have never believed it. I was a bit of a loner back then. But Sam's younger, and she's got this confidence, this ease about her that I envy sometimes. She's not afraid to tackle life head-on.

"What?!" I burst out laughing, genuinely surprised by Sam's comment.

"Yeah, I mean everybody knew you in there. I wonder how you made friends with hockey players."