THIRTY THREE

MORGAN'S POV

I don't know how I got here. I mean, I know how I physically got here, but I don't know how I got to the state of mind where I felt the need to come here to cope.

I cast my line into the water once again, not really expecting to catch anything, but figuring I might as well try. It's not like I have anything better to do, you know?

I've been in Plymouth for two days now. No idea how long I'll stay. When I got back from Europe, I didn't want to come here. But my mom kept pushing it, so I thought, why not? And honestly, it hasn't been that bad. At least here, no one's looking for me, which is exactly what I need right now.

I asked Ellen if I could fish in her backyard, and she just laughed and said, "Go for it." She even made me a sandwich for lunch. Seriously, she's the sweetest. Sometimes I catch her watching me from the kitchen window. I know she's worried, but she doesn't pry, and I know she won't tell anyone I'm here. She's amazing at keeping secrets.

I've decided to keep my feelings to myself. Haven't talked to my mom about any of it—don't want to dump my problems on her. I just want to forget everything.

I know coming back here might seem a bit strange since I'm trying to forget about everything, but to me, it feels like a good coping method. It's like a full-circle moment, you know? Returning to where it all began. Because isn't that what life is about? Finding closure and making peace with the past.

It's funny how being back in Plymouth brings back a flood of memories—both good and bad. Walking the familiar streets, being near the old spot where we used to spend our summer afternoons, it's like revisiting a different version of myself.

 I may not have all the answers right now, but being here gives me a sense of clarity and calmness that I desperately need.

"Hands in the air, what are you doing on my property?" A voice suddenly yells, and my stomach drops. It's the last person I want to see right now.

As his voice cuts through the air, a sharp tug on the other end of the line sends spasms through it, jolting me out of my thoughts. My heart races as I realize the irony of the situation—caught between the past and the present, with both pulling me in different directions.

With a surge of adrenaline, I start yelling, gripping the fishing rod tightly, trying to reel in whatever's on the other end. But it's stronger than I thought, and I stumble back and forth, trying to keep my balance.

I burst out laughing when Jack rushes over to help, his laughter blending with mine. When he puts his hand on mine, a shiver runs down my spine. It's been so long since I felt his touch, and in that moment, I realize just how much I've missed him.

Together, with our combined efforts, we manage to reel in the fish, and it's huge. No wonder I struggled to bring it in on my own.

"Look, M, you caught a fish!" Jack exclaims, grinning and holding it up triumphantly. He quickly takes a pic on his phone before we carefully release it back into the water, making sure it swims away safely.

I can't help but smile as I watch the fish swim off, the adrenaline still passing through my veins. But as the rush fades, a realization dawns on me—I'm not alone. Jack is right here, standing next to me.

My smile falters as I turn to him, confusion and curiosity swirling in my mind. What's he doing here? Why did he come looking for me?

"What are you doing here?" I ask, standing up straight and brushing the dirt off my knees. Jack looks at me, confusion written all over his face.