SEVEN

"Yay! Let's go, my love," Meagan's voice pierces through the air, tinged with excitement as she cheers for Braden. Her enthusiasm is infectious, but it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes as I mutter under my breath, "Girl, sit down."

With a sigh, I press my fingers against my temples, attempting to alleviate the throbbing headache building behind my eyes. It's futile; the migraine has already settled in.

As the clock ticks down the final five minutes of the third period, I can't help but feel a swell of pride watching my brother, now sporting the coveted 'C' on his jersey, lead the team with determination. Despite the game being merely an exhibition match, they play with the intensity of seasoned professionals vying for the Stanley Cup.

Amidst the thrilling display of skill from the rookies and the seasoned players alike, there's one spectacle that rivals the action on the ice: Meagan boldly proclaiming Braden as her boyfriend. The shock on my face must be worth the price of admission.

As the final buzzer sounds and the crowd erupts into cheers, I feel a mixture of emotions swirling inside me. On one hand, I'm thrilled for Cedric and the team's victory, basking in the pride of their accomplishment. On the other hand, I can't shake the unease that lingers from Meagan's enthusiastic display.

"So, what did you think of the game, Morgan?" Meagan asks, her voice overflowing with excitement.

"It was great, really intense," I reply, forcing a smile as I try to push aside my own feelings of discomfort.

"Wasn't it amazing when Braden scored that goal?" Meagan gushes, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Yeah, it was," I reply, my voice tinged with forced enthusiasm. "He played really well."

Meagan nods eagerly, seemingly oblivious to my strained tone. "I know, right? He's such an incredible player."

Zoey glances over at me, her expression filled with concern. "Are you okay, Morgan?" she asks, her voice soft with empathy.

I plaster on a smile, hoping to reassure her. "Yeah, I'm fine," I reply, forcing myself to focus on the present moment. "Just tired, I guess."

Zoey nods understandingly, her gaze lingering on me for a moment longer before she turns her attention back to Meagan.

After escaping the crowd, we find ourselves in the familiar family area where we usually wait for the players. Meagan's chatter fills the air, her excitement palpable as she recounts her favorite moments from the game.

Listening to her talk, I can't help but feel a sense of unease creeping in. Meagan has no idea about my history with Braden, and part of me is grateful for her obliviousness.

She looks perfect, I can't deny that. With her flawless smile and carefree demeanor, she seems to have everything figured out. And yet, despite her perfection, I can't shake the feeling of resentment that gnaws at me.

It's not her fault, I remind myself. She's done nothing wrong. But still, it's hard not to feel insecure in her presence, knowing that she has everything I use to have.

"And we're supposed to go to this picnic tomorrow," Meagan says to Zoey, her excitement palpable as she looks at us in awe.

The mention of a picnic triggers a flood of memories, and for a moment, I'm transported back to our Valentine's date. I remember the romantic winter picnic she had planned for us, complete with twinkling lights and cozy blankets. It was one of the most beautiful and thoughtful gestures anyone had ever done for me.