THIRTY TWO

JACK'S POV

I'm starting to get worried. I'm losing track of time and my sense of direction. I can't find her. There are two possibilities: either she's avoiding me, or she has disappeared.

Even Nico is worried. Luke went to her house, but she wasn't there. Nico visited her office under the pretense of discussing his house-flipping project, but Leia told him she was out of town indefinitely, taking over Morgan's job. She's not answering any of our calls. Mercer tried to reach her, but no one can get in contact with her. Eva also attempted, but it's difficult since she's in Montreal.

Yesterday, I went to her brother's place, and he invited me inside. He was also concerned because he's been traveling a lot and hasn't been able to keep an eye on her. He mentioned he spoke with her on the phone yesterday morning. Apparently, she isn't in New York and didn't want him to know her whereabouts. He promised to inform me once he finds out where she is.

Gab texted me that Morgan put her Instagram on hold, which is unusual for her. She never backs down from work, even on vacation. The last time I heard from her, she texted about signing for an apartment in Paris. I encouraged her, saying, "Do it. It's beautiful. I'm excited to visit you in Paris."

Riley, where can I start? She has been really positive about the situation, reassuring me that maybe she's just on a digital detox, which has become quite popular recently. Riley also reminded me of how dedicated she is and that she probably just needed a break. But I don't buy it. She would have at least let me know. 

I've been hanging out with Riley almost every day now. She has become part of my routine, helping me not to think about it too much. She even comes to almost every game now. I'm not scared to be seen in public with her anymore since everyone seems to have figured it out after that article. But we're still keeping it low-key, you know. I'm far from being in love, but she makes me feel like... myself.

Riley has this amazing ability to keep things light and fun, distracting me from my worries. She always knows the right thing to say to make me laugh, and she's been incredibly supportive. Whether we're grabbing coffee or just hanging out at my place, she makes everything feel a little bit easier. She's a great listener, and it feels like she genuinely understands what I'm going through without me having to explain too much.

Having her around has been a real comfort. It's nice to have someone who doesn't ask too many questions but is just there, making sure I don't get too lost in my thoughts. Plus, with her coming to my games, it feels like I have someone in my corner, cheering me on.

I don't plan on introducing her to my parents anytime soon, but I'm thinking about it. For now, we're just riding the waves and waiting to see what life has planned for us. Riley and I are taking things one day at a time, enjoying each other's company without any pressure.

Speaking of her, she just sent me a text hoping that I'll have a good game tomorrow and that she's thinking about me. I smile, glancing at my phone.

"Here's your room card," says the receptionist, handing me a little envelope with the card in it. I take off my headphones and thank him.

I grab my luggage and head over to the elevator. Most of the guys already received their room cards; I was one of the last to get mine. I enter the elevator with Marino and Mercer.

"What floor are you on?" asks Marino, looking over my shoulder. We're just starting to speak a little more like we used to before. He's making an effort with everyone. He asked for a trade not too long ago, but it got declined.