THIRTY EIGHT

I push the door open, coffee in hand. Lately, I've been wondering if drinking coffee is even worth it. At home, it's all good, but the minute I have it in public, it's like I need to take the biggest dump ever. But whatever, today I need it. I rush into my office, my heels clacking on the floor, feeling like I'm having my own little Anne Hathaway moment from The Devil Wears Prada—except here, I'm the boss.

With my phone glued to my ear, I'm in the middle of telling Ced all the drama about Braden's girlfriend. "I mean, why did she even say that?" I mumble into the phone.

As soon as I step onto my floor, I see Sam talking to our receptionist, Kayla. They're folding and signing some papers. I wave at them, ready to get on with my day, but they stop me in my tracks.

I frown, pulling the phone away from my ear. "I swear I told them you had a lot on your plate today," Sam says, leaning on the desk and peering over her glasses.

"Who?" I ask, already dreading the answer.

They don't even need to respond because I hear Nico's laugh echoing down the corridor.

"Hey, boss" Nico calls out, striding towards me. "Got a minute?"

I sigh, trying to keep my cool. "What's up, Nico?"

He grins, completely oblivious to my frustration. "Just wanted to go over the flip. Got some ideas I think you'll love."

I glance at Sam, who gives me a sympathetic shrug. "Fine, but make it quick," I say, motioning Nico to follow me to my office. "I've got a ton of stuff to deal with today."

As we walk away, I can hear Kayla and Sam giggling. Nico takes my bag from my hand and slings it over his shoulder, making me laugh a little. He can't stop talking about how he wants to decorate his living room but keeps going on about how important his bathroom is because that's where he likes to spend his time. I don't even ask any questions; I just let him ramble.

We enter my office, and there are Mercer, Luke and Jack sitting in front of my desk. I let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh, come on, guys, I have so much to do."

Nico plops down on a chair, still holding my bag, and starts chatting about his latest decor ideas. Jack gets up, coming over to give me a quick kiss on the cheek. "We missed you," he says, his eyes warm.

"I don't. Some of us have to work to pay rent," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Stop it, that's so wrong for you to say that," Mercer snaps at me, rolling his eyes.

"Okay, anyway, you really have to come to the Thanksgiving party tonight," Jack says, getting up from his chair to give me a backward hug.

"No, I totally can't. It's a weekday," I reply, trying to wiggle out of Jack's embrace.

The four boys groan loudly in sync, making me laugh despite myself.

"Come on, you need a break," Nico insists, putting my bag down. "It'll be fun, I promise."

"I have so much to do," I protest, feeling the weight of my responsibilities pressing down on me.

"I solemnly swear that if you don't come to the party, I will stand outside your window all night, and recite all the lines from Secretariat until you cave," Luke says seriously, holding his finger up for emphasis.

There's this awkward silence moment where we're all questioning what Luke just said.

"Please don't," I say, laughing. "I need my neighbors to not hate me. And why the fuck do you know this movie by heart"

Jack tightens his hug for a moment before letting go. "Just a couple of hours, please? For us?"

I look at their hopeful faces and sigh. "Fine, I'll try to make it. But no promises."