TWENTY

Morgan

2017-2018

"Do we really have to wear those little hats?" I grumble to my coworker Logan as we stand behind the counter. He nods in agreement, adjusting the ridiculous vintage hat perched on his head. "I know, they make us look like idiots."

Working at the hometown cinema isn't exactly glamorous, especially when we're stuck wearing these old-school uniforms that feel more like Halloween costumes than anything else. Every time I put on this getup, it's like I can smell the lingering scent of popcorn from the last shift.

I glance at the clock and realize we're almost at the end of the shift for tonight. Just one last showing, and then we'll be done. I grab the broom and start sweeping up the popcorn kernels and spilled soda from the floor, eager to wrap things up and call it a night.

As Logan announces his bathroom break, I nod in acknowledgment, grateful for the brief moment of solitude. With him gone, I can focus on getting the concession area in tip-top shape before the next rush of customers.

Bending down behind the counter, I start rearranging the cups, ensuring everything is neatly organized. There's something strangely satisfying about putting everything in its proper place, about creating order amidst the chaos of the cinema.

As I work, I find myself humming softly, the lyrics to "Sad Beautiful Tragic" by Taylor Swift playing in my head.

As I hear someone clear their throat, my heart skips a beat, thinking it's a new customer. I scramble to my feet, accidentally knocking my hat off and sending it clattering to the ground. I quickly retrieve it, hastily placing it back on my head.

In that split second, I'm grateful for the ridiculous hat, realizing it probably saved me from banging my head on the counter. But as I straighten up, my heart sinks when I see who it is.

It's Jack. The same Jack I've been crushing on for what feels like forever. He's my brother's teammate, the guy who shares a class with me and makes me nervous every time he so much as looks my way. I don't even know if he knows my name, let alone that I exist.

The other day, I saw him at my brother's party. I was surprise to see him there, because in the class the other day, I heard him say that he wouldn't come. But he did, he came. 

For a moment, I freeze, feeling like a deer caught in headlights. What do I do? What do I say? My mind races with a million thoughts, but all I can manage is a feeble smile and a mumbled greeting.

"Nice hat," Jack says, causing the girl next to him to giggle. Are they laughing at me? My heart sinks at the thought. I know I've never been the most popular girl, or the one with a string of boyfriends, but that doesn't mean I deserve to be made fun of. I feel ridiculous standing here in my uniform, like I'm some sort of joke.

"Thanks," I mumble, trying to keep my composure. I force a small smile, even though inside I'm crumbling.

"Yeah, so we're here for the movie," Jack says, glancing at the girl expectantly, clearly relying on her to remember the name of it. It hits me then that she's the one who invited him. Of course she did. She's beautiful, confident, everything I wish I could be. I can see why he would go on a date with her. She's his type, the kind of girl I've always dreamed of being.

"Fifty Shades Freed," the girl says, and I quickly punch it into the register. Two tickets for Fifty Shades Freed, got it. But before I finalize the transaction, I can't resist a little jab.

"It's a fourteen-plus movie, so I'll need to see your ID, please," I say, looking back and forth at them with a mischievous grin. Of course, it's just a joke, but I can't help but want to mess with them a bit after their comment about my hat.