The sweeter things in life - Bucky/Steve

A DAY OFF

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bucky leaned back in his chair, sunglasses on, a smirk playing on his lips. "So, Alex, what made you think hanging out with us two old-timers was a good idea?"

You laughed, stirring your iced coffee. "Who said it was a good idea? I was just being nice. Besides, someone has to make sure you two don't get into trouble."

Steve Rogers, sitting across from you, chuckled. "I don't think you need to worry about us. We’ve had enough practice staying out of trouble... well, most of the time."

Bucky snorted. "Speak for yourself, Rogers. Trouble seems to find me no matter where I go."

"Yeah, like that time you tried to flirt with the barista," you teased, grinning at Bucky. "What was her name? Sarah? She looked ready to throw that latte at you."

Steve burst out laughing. "Oh, I remember that! Your charm needs a bit of work, Buck."

Bucky shrugged, trying to look nonchalant but failing miserably. "Hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

"Yeah, but you also miss 100% of the shots you do take," you shot back, and Steve almost choked on his coffee.

"Wow, Alex, not holding back today, huh?" Bucky said, shaking his head with a mock expression of hurt.

You leaned forward, grinning. "Someone's got to keep you humble, Barnes."

Steve wiped a tear from his eye, still chuckling. "She's got a point. But seriously, what are we doing today? Just coffee, or do we have an adventure planned?"

Bucky leaned in, conspiratorially. "I've got an idea. How about we show Alex some real fun? There's a vintage arcade down the street. I bet she can't beat us at Pac-Man."

You raised an eyebrow. "Pac-Man? Really? You two are on."

As you walked to the arcade, the banter continued. Bucky draped an arm around your shoulders. "So, Alex, how did you get mixed up with us superheroes anyway?"

You shrugged, smiling. "Just lucky, I guess. Plus, someone has to make sure you don't get too full of yourselves."

Steve walked on your other side, a playful glint in his eyes. "Does that mean you're our unofficial handler now?"

"More like your babysitter," you quipped, causing Bucky to let out a bark of laughter.

"Babysitter, huh? Does that mean you change our diapers and everything?" Bucky teased, winking at you.

You rolled your eyes. "Only if you start acting like babies, which, given your track record, isn’t too far-fetched."

Steve grinned. "I think we found the perfect person to keep us in line, Buck."

At the arcade, the competition was fierce. Steve was surprisingly good at Pac-Man, and Bucky was a natural at the shooting games. You managed to hold your own, much to their surprise.

"Not bad, Alex," Steve admitted, after you beat him at a racing game. "I think you might be better than us at this."

Bucky clapped a hand on your back. "You know, I’m almost impressed. Almost."

"Coming from you, that’s a huge compliment," you said, grinning.

As the day turned into evening, you found yourselves back at the cafe, exhausted but happy. The sun was setting, casting a warm glow over everything.

Bucky stretched, his metal arm gleaming in the fading light. "Today was fun. We should do it again sometime."

"Agreed," Steve said, looking at you with a soft smile. "Thanks for hanging out with us, Alex. It’s nice to have a normal day every once in a while."