Nerves - Bucky

Bucky Barnes, known to the world as the Winter Soldier, paced nervously in his Brooklyn apartment. He ran a hand through his hair for what felt like the hundredth time, glancing at the clock. "Come on, Bucky. It's just a date," he muttered to himself, but his voice lacked conviction.

His phone buzzed on the table, and he grabbed it quickly, hoping for a distraction. It was a message from Steve Rogers.

**Steve:** “Hey, wanna grab a coffee?”

Bucky sighed with relief. Maybe Steve could help him sort out his tangled thoughts. He typed back quickly.

**Bucky:** “Sure, meet you at Sam’s Diner in 15?”

**Steve:** “Sounds good. See you there.”

Bucky grabbed his jacket and headed out the door. As he walked down the familiar streets, he tried to shake off his nerves. He’d faced down Hydra agents, supervillains, and even Thanos. Asking someone on a date shouldn’t be this hard. But with you, it felt different. It was personal.

When Bucky walked into Sam’s Diner, Steve was already there, sipping on a coffee. His old friend smiled and waved him over.

“Hey, Buck,” Steve greeted warmly.

“Hey, Steve,” Bucky replied, sliding into the booth across from him. “Thanks for meeting me.”

“No problem. You looked like you could use a chat.” Steve’s eyes were sharp as ever, picking up on Bucky’s tension. “What’s on your mind?”

Bucky hesitated. How was he supposed to explain this without sounding ridiculous? He took a deep breath. “I… There’s someone I like. And I want to ask her out.”

Steve raised an eyebrow. “Really? That’s great, Buck! Who is she?”

“It’s, um, it’s Y/N,” Bucky admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

Steve’s eyes widened in surprise, then softened with understanding. “Ah, Y/N. She’s great. So, what’s the problem?”

Bucky sighed. “I just… I don’t know how to do this. I mean, it’s been a long time since I asked anyone out. What if she says no? Or worse, what if she says yes and it turns out to be a disaster?”

Steve chuckled. “Bucky, you’re overthinking this. Y/N likes you. I’ve seen the way she looks at you.”

“Really?” Bucky asked, a flicker of hope in his eyes.

“Really. And you’re a good guy, Buck. Just be yourself. She’ll see that.”

Bucky nodded slowly, trying to absorb Steve’s words. “Thanks, Steve. I just… I needed to hear that.”

“Anytime, pal,” Steve said, clapping Bucky on the shoulder.

Just then, the door to the diner opened, and Natasha Romanoff walked in. She spotted them and made her way over, a knowing smirk on her face. “What’s going on here? A little Avengers meeting?”

“Hey, Nat,” Steve greeted. “We’re just having a chat.”

“A chat, huh?” Natasha’s eyes flicked to Bucky. “About what?”

Bucky groaned inwardly. Natasha was like a bloodhound when it came to sniffing out secrets. “About asking someone out,” he mumbled.

Natasha’s smirk widened. “Oh, this I’ve got to hear. Who’s the lucky girl?”

“It’s Y/N,” Bucky said, a bit more confidently this time.

Natasha’s eyes sparkled with mischief. “Y/N, huh? Good choice, Barnes. So, what’s the holdup?”

Bucky sighed. “I just… I don’t want to mess this up.”

Natasha sat down next to Steve, her expression turning serious. “Bucky, you’re one of the bravest people I know. You can do this. Just be honest and straightforward. She’ll appreciate that.”

Bucky looked between Steve and Natasha, feeling a surge of gratitude. “Thanks, guys. I needed this pep talk.”

“Anytime,” Steve said with a smile.

Natasha nodded. “Now go get her, soldier.”

Bucky chuckled, feeling a bit more confident. He finished his coffee and stood up. “Alright. I’m going to do it.”

“Good luck, Buck,” Steve said.

“Let us know how it goes,” Natasha added.

Bucky nodded and left the diner, his heart pounding. He walked to your apartment, each step feeling both exhilarating and terrifying. When he reached your door, he took a deep breath and knocked.

You opened the door, surprised to see him. “Bucky? What are you doing here?”

“Hey, Y/N,” he said, trying to keep his voice steady. “I, um, I wanted to ask you something.”

You raised an eyebrow, curious. “What is it?”

“I was wondering if… if you’d like to go out with me sometime. Like, on a date,” Bucky said, his eyes searching yours for any sign of rejection.

A smile spread across your face. “I’d love to, Bucky.”

Relief washed over him, and he couldn’t help but smile back. “Great. How about dinner tomorrow night?”

“Sounds perfect,” you said.

Bucky nodded, feeling like he was on top of the world. “I’ll see you then.”

“See you then,” you replied, giving him a warm smile before closing the door.

As Bucky walked away, he felt a lightness in his step that hadn’t been there in a long time. He pulled out his phone and sent a quick message to Steve and Natasha.

**Bucky:** “She said yes.”

A moment later, his phone buzzed with replies.

**Steve:** “Knew she would. Have fun, Buck!”

**Natasha:** “Told you so. Enjoy your date!”

Bucky smiled, slipping his phone back into his pocket. For the first time in a long while, he felt genuinely excited about the future. And he had his friends to thank for giving him the courage to take that first step.