14.

Freen's PoV

Becky had finally been discharged from the hospital. I made sure all the formalities were completed and gently helped her into the car. She was still weak, but her spirit seemed unbroken. As I drove her home, I glanced at her, my heart swelling with a mix of emotions I couldn't fully understand.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my voice soft.

Becky nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "I am, thanks to you."

We reached her home, and I helped her inside, making sure she was comfortable. "You should rest," I told her. "I'll be back soon. I have something to take care of."

She looked at me with those eyes that seemed to see right through me. "Be careful, Freen."

I nodded and left, my mind racing with the information I had just received. Detective Deek had called me with urgent news, and I knew I needed to meet her immediately.

As I arrived at the detective's office, Deek greeted me with a grim expression. "Freen, I've uncovered something significant. Someone has been manipulating evidence to frame Becky. It's a woman in her fifties, and she even arranged for Kirk's release from jail."

My heart sank. "Who is she?"

Deek handed me a file. "I can't give you a name yet, but I have a feeling you know who it is. Also, I discovered something else. Becky faked Kirk's attempt to rape her. She did it to protect herself, but the story is more complicated than it seems."

I felt a wave of nausea. "Why would she do that?"

Deek shook her head. "It's a tangled web, Freen. But remember, you can't share this information with anyone, not even your mother."

I nodded, my mind a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. "Thank you, Deek. I'll be careful."

Leaving the detective's office, I drove straight to my mother's house. I needed answers, but I had to be careful not to reveal what I knew. My mother greeted me with a warm smile, but I could see the cold calculation in her eyes.

"Freen, you need to listen to me," she began, her voice dripping with false concern. "Becky is dangerous. She's behind everything."

I forced myself to stay calm, nodding along as she spoke. "I understand, Mom. I just needed to see you and make sure you're okay."

She seemed satisfied with my response, and after a few more minutes of her relentless accusations, I made an excuse to leave. "I need to get back to Becky. She needs me."

My mother's expression darkened slightly, but she nodded. "Of course. Take care, Freen."

As I drove back to Becky's house, my mind was a storm of conflicting thoughts. I parked the car and took a deep breath before heading inside. Becky was resting on the couch, her eyes fluttering open as I entered.

"Hey," she said softly. "Everything okay?"

I forced a smile. "Yeah, just had to take care of some things. How are you feeling?"

"Better," she replied, though I could see the exhaustion in her eyes.

I sat down beside her, taking her hand in mine. "Becky, I need you to know something. I'm here for you, no matter what. We'll get through this together."

She looked at me, her eyes full of trust and vulnerability. "Thank you, Freen. That means a lot to me."

We sat there in silence, the weight of everything pressing down on us. But in that moment, I knew I would do whatever it took to protect her and uncover the truth. No matter how complicated things got, I was determined to stand by Becky's side.

.........