16.

Freen's PoV

This girl Friend—why does she always do this? My blood was boiling inside, but when Becky looked at me with worried eyes, I reassured her it was okay. Deep down, though, I hated it. Becky's parents always misunderstood, thinking Friend was the one who truly cared for Becky and not me.

As they all left the room, leaving just Becky and me, I climbed onto the bed and sat by her side. She called my name softly, "Freen!"

I hummed in response. She hesitated, then said, "Friend actually had an affair with me before we got married..."

I was shocked by this new information but remained calm. It was before our marriage, after all. I didn't respond immediately, choosing to keep quiet. Becky, sensing my silence, became worried. She hugged me from the side and rested her head on my shoulder. "I wanted to tell you this before, but we weren't in good terms with each other, so..."

I held her hand, which was resting on my thigh, and said, "Becky, it's okay. We're just learning about each other now. Our bond will become stronger in the following days. And about the affair—it's completely okay. It was before our wedding. I mean, our wedding never actually happened." I smiled at the thought that we never had a wedding but still, I'm her legal wife.

Becky's voice trembled as she continued, "I'm sorry, Freen. I'll tell Friend to stay away from us. I promise I'll never betray you. The care you've shown me these past days has made my heart so peaceful. I like it when you're by my side, when you squeeze my hands and assure me. Thank you so much, Freen."

Her words warmed my heart, and I felt my cheeks redden. She really likes me. She's opening her heart to me. Are our feelings mutual? I wanted to ask her all these questions, but she fell asleep on my shoulder. She's too sleepy because of the meds, and her fracture is still not healed, so she can't walk.

Gently, I made her lay down properly and settled beside her, making sure not to hurt her. This relationship we had was something different. We weren't friends for sure. We weren't a couple yet, but we were somewhere in between, finding peace in each other's company.

I watched her sleep, her breathing even and calm. This vulnerable, peaceful Becky was so different from the one I first met. I felt a surge of protectiveness and tenderness towards her. I leaned in and whispered, "I'll always be here for you, Becky. No matter what."

As I lay beside her, I thought about everything we had been through and everything still ahead of us. The road wasn't going to be easy, especially with the shadows of the past looming over us. But for now, in this moment, we had each other. And that was enough.

We drifted off to sleep together, her head resting on my shoulder, my arm wrapped protectively around her. This fragile, budding connection between us felt precious and worth nurturing. Whatever the future held, I knew we could face it together.

As I woke up, I felt my arm numb because Becky had been laying on it for a while now. No, I'm not complaining. I like it when she lays on me and clings to me like a kid. Thinking about how cute Becky is right now, sleeping on my shoulder, she looks like a small two-year-old who found her mom and is laying on her peacefully.

I leaned in and kissed her forehead. Her cuteness was unbearable. I love this childish side of her, which she never shows to anyone except me. Yeah, I'm the only one, so I feel so special around her.

"Becky, I'll always be by your side. I won't let anything happen to you," I whispered, my heart swelling with affection. I noticed my phone buzzing. Carefully, I eased her head off my shoulder and slipped out of the room, closing the door behind me. My mom was calling.

It was the same story again, the same accusations about Becky. Becky's parents weren't home yet; they had gone to the company since Becky couldn't look after it right now. After my mom finished, my PA called. As I received the call, I suddenly heard Becky screaming from the room.

My heart leapt with fear. I immediately became nervous and ran towards the room, but the door was locked from the inside. How could it be locked? I had left it open. Becky screamed my name nonstop, calling for help.

Panic surged through me. I struggled to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. Desperate, I ran to grab a hammer and tried to break the lock. My hands trembled as I hammered away, my mind racing with worst-case scenarios. Finally, the lock gave way, and I burst into the room.

...........

What do you guys think might have happened??

Please don't forget to vote!