26.

Becky's PoV

I was sitting with my mom, waiting for my dad to join us. They both seemed tense, and I could sense that something important was about to be revealed. As soon as Dad entered and sat on the sofa, Mom started to speak.

"So, Becky, it's time you know the truth about Freen's parents and our connection to them," she said.

I looked at them, confused. "Mom, I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

Dad sighed heavily and began, "Look, Becky, you know I worked for Mr. Chankimha for years. Recently, I was dismissed from the office because of his second wife..."

I was stunned. "What second wife?" I asked, my voice shaky.

Mom nodded. "Yes, Becky. Freen's real mother is different. She has a stepmother."

I started to piece everything together. So, this was the reason Freen left? Did she find out about her family's secrets? My mind was racing.

Dad continued, "Becky, I was removed from my job because I discovered that Mrs. Chankimha was cheating on her husband. When I told Mr. Chankimha the truth, she even killed him to keep it a secret!"

I felt a surge of anger and disbelief. So, Freen's stepmother was behind her father's murder? And my father had gotten involved in this unknowingly. How could I have been so oblivious all this time? I sighed and sat down, my mind spinning with thoughts on what to do next and how to find my wife.

It had been eight months since she left me. I tried to search for her myself, but this truth I learned today from my parents was deep. Freen had gone through so much, and she felt even I betrayed her, so maybe she left everything behind. She was right in her shoes; even I would have done the same.

I started to search for the detective that Freen had hired. It was impossible for her to find the truth without professional help. Finally, after a month of searching, I found her. Here I am, standing in front of her office. I entered the office with a deep breath. As I saw her, she was sitting on a chair watching something on her laptop. As I entered, she smiled at me, and I sat on the chair in front of her.

She said, "Yes, how can I help you?"

I said, "Freen—I want to meet her. Deek, please tell me where she is!"

She said, "What are you talking about, miss? What do you mean by you want to talk to someone? This is a detective office..."

I said, cutting her off, "Miss Deek, I know you handled my wife's case. Freen Sarocha, she left everything because she learned the truth about her mother, and she felt I betrayed her. Please, I request you—I want to meet her once."

I started to cry. She held my hand and said, "Miss Rebecca, as much as I want to help you, I can't disclose a client's information without their consent."

I joined my hands and begged for mercy. She finally sighed and said, "Okay, I'll take you there, but you have to be careful about her feelings too."

I said, "Of course, ma'am. I know, I'll take care—don't worry. I have missed her a lot!"

She nodded and told me to come the next day, and she would send the location.

I smiled and thanked her. Finally, I could see my wife after nine months. I hoped she was well. As I reached home, I went to my room and lay on the bed. I was nervous. All I could think about was how to start? What to say to her? How to begin? Would I cry when I saw her? Would I be able to convince her? Would she come back to me? What if she refused? Oh god, my mind was a mess. All I wanted right now was her. Her by my side. I'll propose to her again tomorrow. Yeah, that would be right.

I grabbed my car keys and went to the nearby jewelry shop. I'll be ready. If the conversation goes well, I'll propose to her. This time, I'll marry her with love and affection, not because of some contract.

.................

So how was the new story? Did u guys read it!