19.

The night passed in a haze of shared confessions and silent promises. Becky slept peacefully in my arms, but my mind was far from restful. The events of the day played over and over in my head, a relentless loop of fear, anger, and guilt. As I held Becky close, her steady breathing a small comfort, my thoughts wandered to the enigma of my mother's involvement.

Why was she always so accusatory towards Becky? What could possibly drive her to such lengths? The questions gnawed at me, and I found myself unable to ignore the unsettling suspicion that had been creeping into my mind.

I recalled the cryptic phone call I had overheard a few days ago. My mother's voice, low and urgent, speaking to someone about "taking care of loose ends." At the time, I had brushed it off, attributing it to business matters. But now, in the light of recent events, the pieces began to fall into place.

Could it be? Could my mother be the woman in her fifties who helped Kirk get out of jail?

The thought was almost too much to bear. I had always known my mother to be strict and overbearing, but this? This was beyond anything I could have imagined. Yet, as I connected the dots, the truth became increasingly hard to deny.

Kirk's sudden release from jail despite the overwhelming evidence against him, his confidence in confronting Becky again, and my mother's inexplicable hostility towards her—all of it pointed to a sinister collusion.

I needed proof. I couldn't accuse my mother without evidence, no matter how compelling the circumstantial evidence seemed. But where to start? My mother was a master at covering her tracks. I would have to be careful, subtle. I couldn't let her suspect that I was onto her.

The next morning, Becky woke up with a small smile on her lips. Seeing her like that, so vulnerable and yet so strong, solidified my resolve. I couldn't let this go. I needed to find out the truth, for Becky's sake, and for my own.

"Good morning," Becky murmured, her voice still heavy with sleep.

"Good morning," I replied, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside me. "How are you feeling?"

"A little better," she said, her eyes searching mine. "Thanks to you."

I kissed her forehead, my heart aching with love and determination. "We'll get through this, Becky. Together."

Becky got out of the bed and searched my eyes. She said, "You didn't sleep, right?"

I looked away. She held my face gently and made me look at her. I said, "I couldn't."

Becky kissed my cheek and said, "Freen, please don't pressure yourself. You're not responsible for all this. You're as innocent as me!"

I just nodded, but deep down, I knew something bad was going to happen and I might be involved. Becky kissed my lips reassuringly and calmed me down. I hugged her as she lay above me.

A week passed, and Becky's leg was much better. The doctor said they would remove the plaster from her leg. Becky was excited. I had seen Becky's vulnerability, her strength, and her kindness too. Now we were close to each other, not because of the contract we had signed, but because we truly were compatible.

The doctor removed her plaster and slowly moved her leg. She groaned in pain. The doctor instructed me to help her walk slowly for half an hour each day with support, and she would be completely fine in a month. The wound on her head was already healed, leaving only a mark. But she still managed to look as cute as ever.

God, she's making me crazier about her every day. Yes, she does, and I love it. Love? Do I love her? It's a big thing, but I deeply care about her, and we have grown closer. I surely can't imagine my life without her now! But do I really love her? I was puzzled as I helped her walk. Becky said, "Freen, what are you thinking? You look tense."

I said, "Nothing, Becky. I just want you to get back to normal soon."

Becky nodded and kissed my cheek. It had become her habit now. She kissed my cheeks and lips daily, and I just felt happy when she did that.

As we continued walking, my thoughts returned to my mother. I needed to find out what she was hiding, but for now, Becky needed me, and that was my priority. I would protect her, no matter what.

............

What do you guys think? Will they be happy together? Will Freen's mom do something? Will everything be ok?

Don't forget to vote guys 🥺. Ur author needs energy too!