Chapter 38

UNEDITED..

Chapter 38

"Son?" The voice on the other end was unmistakable, instantly recognizable and one that made his blood boil.

It was Choi Min-Jun.

Kim Jae-soo's grip tightened on his flip phone, his immediate instinct to smash it against the wall. But he took a deep breath, trying to maintain his composure.

"Who is this?" Kim Jae-soo asked, his voice cold and strained.

"Jae-soo, I just want to talk. Can't a father reach out to his son?" Choi Min-Jun's voice had an unsettling mix of faux concern and manipulation that Kim Jae-soo had come to know all too well. As Choi Min-Jun spoke, he kissed his mistress, who smiled at him, her dark hair flowing down her back like a calm stream. He made himself sound sad at his son's obvious rejection.

"How did you get my number?" Kim Jae-soo asked, trying his best to sound indifferent to this man he once clamored to please in his past life.

"Son, it seems your mother planted such a terrible image of me in your mind," Choi Min-Jun sighed, brushing his hand through the woman's hair.

"I will be hanging up since you don't have anything to say to me," Kim Jae-soo said curtly, ending the call without waiting for a response.

Choi Min-Jun sneered as the line went dead, his faux sadness evaporating instantly. He returned his attention to the woman in his arms, resuming his caresses as if nothing had happened.

Back in the apartment, Kim Jae-soo stared at his phone, the familiar wave of anger and frustration washing over him. He took a deep breath, trying to shake off the lingering unease. He had faced this man before, and he would do it again if necessary, but he wouldn't let Choi Min-Jun disrupt the fragile balance he had started to build in this life.

"Are you okay?" An Na-ri's voice broke through his thoughts. He stood in the doorway, concern etched on his face.

Kim Jae-soo forced a smile, nodding. "Yeah, just an unexpected call. Let's get some rest. We have a big day tomorrow."

An Na-ri didn't push further, but his worry was evident.

•••

Meanwhile, Kim Ae-Cha couldn't sit still any longer. She had kept a low profile for a while, never expecting Min-Jun to reappear and pose a threat to her and her son. She could endure grievances herself, but she wasn't going to let her son suffer at the hands of anyone, including his father.

Years ago, Mrs. Kim, her adoptive mother, had handed over a secret company to her—Sage, a renowned jewelry enterprise in Seoul. Since Mrs. Kim had no siblings or children, her adopted daughter and grandson were the next in line to manage it. Over the years, Kim Ae-Cha had used most of the profits to fund Kim Jae-soo's expenses and support various charities, especially those focused on special needs children and the fight against child labor. Additionally, she had been secretly searching for her missing son, In-Soo.

"Hello, Mr. Lu. I would like to meet with you," she said softly over the phone.

"Madam, are you ready to take over the company?" Mr. Lu didn't wait for her reply. "In fact, you have to take over the management of this company, as this old man wants to go on vacation."

Ae-Cha laughed softly at Mr. Lu's playful acting. "Let's meet up tomorrow afternoon and discuss the process of handing over."

"Good, good, madam. Finally, you can be the jewelry design genius you have always been," Mr. Lu said in satisfaction. When Mrs. Kim had handed over the company to Ae-Cha, it was on the verge of bankruptcy. With new designs and the dedication of faithful workers, the company had recovered and gained renown. However, Ae-Cha had preferred to stay behind the scenes until now, waiting for the right moment to return to the public eye.