25

"She's different." Ghost stood beside his father. Both men were staring down from his office, watching the homes backyard as Marla showed Salem around her garden.

The woman had all types of foods you could grow and she used and everyone in her kitchen.

"She is." Ghost agreed, bringing his glass up to his lips and welcoming a sip while his father continued on.

When Demarcus said nothing, Ghost turned to face him. He took in a deep breath and sat his glass down.

"Say whatever you're going to say. Get it off your chest because this will be the only time I allow you to speak on my wife."

"She's not your wife." Demarcus scuffed, letting his glass rest down his desk, directly next to his sons.

"But she will be."

The top of Demarcus's lip twitched as he held himself together.

"I know her family. I know where she comes from. She'll be a handful, she'll fight you with every decision through and through. Do you think you need a wife like that? With the power you have?"

Demarcus stared at the back of Ghosts head, while Ghosts gaze was implanted on Salem down below. The women's gaze drifted away from Marla, her fingers tapping the arm of her chair. She felt like she was being watched but she could see nothing. She was looking directly at Ghost, staring him into his soul as if her mind just knew he was there.

Ghost turned away, facing his father and staring at the man.

"You're right. And that's exactly what I want. So I'll say this once again for the last time. Don't speak on my wife."

Ghost picked up his glass and emptied it down his throat. Then he made his way out his father's office, it was time for him and Salem to go.

Salem asked no questions when Ghost said his goodbyes to his mother. She did the same and was soon wheeled out the family home and helped into a car.

Salem and Ghost were silent through the ride. The both of them having their own times in their heads.

As the door opened to Ghosts penthouse, Salem was welcomed by her dogs. The both of them came up to the sides of her wheel chair, pressed their paws to her arms and licked her face gently. They were so calm with her, careful. It was new and something she knew they hadn't learned on their own.

"What'd you do?" Salem was now questioning the man, both her dogs now sitting down on their tummies as Salem rubbed the tops of their heads

"I don't know what you mean?" Ghosts head was tilted to the side slightly, only telling Salem he knew exactly what she meant.

"You didn't have to...do whatever you did. They weren't going to hurt me."

"I know." Ghost broke, making his way forward and pressing his hands to her lap. He slid his hands up her stomach, gripping her sides until he was under her arms.

He pulled her from the seat slightly, kissing her face as she relaxed in his hold. She let go of her body and let the only thing holding her up be him.

"I just wanted to be careful.." his voice whispered into the corner of her ear, his lips dragging against the skin beneath.

A gasp left Salem's lips as she was lifted from the wheel chair and up into the air. Ghost raised her above his head, the girls eyes went wide as she slapped her palms down onto his face, her nails practically digging into his cheeks as all he could do was laugh at her reaction.

Ghost brought her down to his chest, to which she immediately clung onto the back of his neck, making sure she had her fingers pressed into him so hard that he wouldn't be able to raise her that high again.