Chapter Twenty-Six

Kai's phone rings first thing in the morning. The sun is halfway up and outside of his window birds chirp loudly. He bangs his hand against the glass and successfully scares them away.

His phone continues to ring. He opens his eyes; the eyelids are stuck together so he rubs his palm against them to rid the sleepiness.

He hears shuffling beside him. "Who is it?" Taehyun slurs, one eye of his is halfway open. The phone's screen shows the time to be only 5 in the morning. Who could possibly call him at a time like this?

"Go back to sleep," he tells him, getting up from the bed himself, he trudges towards the door and accepts the call. "Hello?" His voice is thick and hoarse.

"Hi. Is this Huening Kai?"

He clears his throat. "This is him," he says, waiting for the caller to specify the reason for calling him.

"I'm Kim Hera." she identifies. "My niece told me you called, just a few weeks ago." Her tone is gentle yet slightly unclear.

Kim Hera was the girl from his parents' yearbook. Her picture was next to Mr. Harrison. "I did, yes." He quickly recovers from the sudden call at the early hour; waking up in a hurry. He needs to have a clear mind for this conversation.

He leaves the hallway and races down the stairs quietly. "Thank you for calling me back. Would you give me a second?"

"No problem."

Kai opens the door to the basement and locks it behind him. "I wanted to ask you a few questions, about the high school you attended."

"Go ahead, young man."

"Do you remember a student by the name of Soo-Ha?"

"Soo-Ha. Well, yes, I do. I think so... "she says. "Long black hair? Sharp eyes? Kind of hectic?"

Sounds like her. "Yes," Kai confirms. "Were you two close to each other?"

"Not really, we weren't. Why do you ask? it was so long ago."

"I'm-" he begins. "Her son. I'm trying to look for someone. Someone who my mother knew well, or even dated." He clears his throat. "She was a single parent... "he lies, tuning his voice into a higher one, pitiful; saddened. "My mother recently died, and I just want to know who my father was. He might be the only family I have left... please, help me," he begs. "If you remember anyone who seemed close to her... anything you know can help me."

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss, dear." and she sounds sincere. "How old are you to have lost her so soon?"

"Not eighteen yet," he says quietly. "I need to find my dad, he's the only one who can take me in... "He cries. "Please...?"

"I'm-"

"You're my only hope."

She sighs. "Well... let me think, okay?" Her tone is a tad more rushed; and pressured. Kai grins behind the phone; a tear gathers under his chin. "Just let me think, I know I can remember something useful."

He waits.

"I-" she sighs again. "I don't know if it helps with anything."

"Even if not, please tell me."

"It was certainly Valentine's Day," she speaks to herself. "Right, it was. Senior year, Valentine's Day. I remember because it was right after my nose job, I wanted to look good for this boy I had a brush on." She goes down memory lane. "That is not important. I thought he liked me too, but I saw him during recess; he was slipping a love note into your mother's locker." she pauses, then chuckles. "I was devastated, you know? Young love, it's silly."