Chapter Fifty-One

"Will you get me my Coat from the hanger?" Kai asks. He holds the legal forms in his hands.

Beomgyu who arrived with the form from Mr. Tadashi a few minutes ago leaves his chair and goes to grab Kai's coat. He unhangs it from the hanger and carries it to the bed.

He takes the empty bento box from the drawer and closes it. He shoves it into his bag and takes out a different box; it's full. "I made lunch," he says. "Eat it when you are done."

Kai nods and digs his hand into the coat's inner pocket, pulling back with a black pen between his fingers. He sorts through the forms; opening the pen and revealing a knife-like tip.

He sighs his signature where he needs to. "Is Mr. Harrison under arrest still?"

Beomgyu nods. "He won't be out soon." he exhales in relief, running his hand through his long hair. "That is what Mr. Tadashi's saying."

"Often more than not, he is right." Kai's cursive writing fills the blank spaces where he has to give his statement. "Have you transferred him the whole 40,000?"

With a nervous twitch of his fingers, as he hears the large sum, Beomgyu nods carefully and purses his lips. "Hyuka."

Kai hums.

"Do-" Beomgyu pauses and contemplates. Money had always been a tough issue to bring up between him and Kai because his brother was the only breadwinner. Not just that but ever since they were teens, Kai was the one who handled all of the finances so Beomgyu felt in the dark whenever money was talked about. "Do we have enough money for this?"

The only time he gets to see how much they have is when Kai gives him his card to draw cash. And the last time he saw their account, it had 80,000 dollars in.

They have just given half their entire savings to pay for a lawyer. And that was needed, no question there.

But he can't help but worry about the other things that need to be taken care of, like their college money, their Cadillac that got totaled, the house bills, and rent.

Kai looks at Beomgyu like he fell from the sky and he pauses his writing. "Why would we not?" he asks and Beomgyu feels like shrinking.

He really does hate talking about money. At once, he feels like the 14-year-old boy who lost his everything and lives in a crappy apartment building filled with drug addicts and the smell of urine everywhere.

He knows it's unrealistic, but the fear of not having money for food comes back to bother him.

"Hyung," Kai calls. "How much money do you think we hold?" he asks.

Beomgyu fiddles with his sleeves. "40,000." he guesses.

"Right. In the credit card... "Kai specifies and drags his words. He finds Beomgyu's clueless face amusing; he crosses his hands on his chest and looks at his brother. "But, how much money do we hold?"

"40,000," Beomgyu answers. "You just said it." he grows frustrated. How can Kai not see the problem?

Kai can't help but laugh lowly. "Do you believe I get paid in pennies?"

"I don't understand." Beomgyu furrows his eyebrows.

"Hyung, you do know we are owners of a couple of buildings in our area?" he asks; genuinely wondering if his brother is that clueless. "We only have 40,000 in our account; The rest is invested in stocks and properties."

"We have buildings?!" Beomgyu's eyes pop out of their socket as he exclaims. "Wait-" he shakes his head. "What do you mean stocks and properties?"

Kai sighs and goes back to filling out the forms. "We would be doomed If you were the one in charge of money." he chuckles.