Chapter Thirty-Two

"Is it true, Kai?" his voice shakes. He looks at the officers, then he is heavily aware of the object in his palm. He slowly reaches into his pocket and slips the bullet inside.

Officers.

In Kai's house.

The lecture got canceled. PHD Jack Harrison. He is arrested for killing their professor by Taehyun just saw Mr. Harrison last week at the lecture, it couldn't be that now he is dead, can it?

He was alive.

Soobin's words come swarming into his mind. Anything he blocked away, anything he didn't want to believe. "Kai...?" He looks the boy in his eyes and 2 seconds turn into hours.

"The crazy guy? He was diagnosed with psychopathy super young, and then he went and allegedly killed his first wife. He remarried to a Korean woman who had a kid from her first marriage too."

"Long story short, he went ballistic for no reason and set his house on fire with his family inside, he died in that fire and so did his wife and her son. No one knows what happened to his son, but he had one."

"It's chilling, isn't it?"

He's caught blind-sighted by the sudden arrival of the cops. It all unveils itself so fast, that he's not sure which side he is on. The law, or Kai. He finds himself questioning the things Kai said to him. The things Kai warned him about.

Kai shakes his head; a few blood drops fall on the floor. "I have no clue what they are talking about, I promise." He tries pulling from the hold but won't let go. He's dizzy. "Taehyun?"

Oh, but Kai is an excellent liar, isn't he? Taehyun knew that but convinced himself he was fine with it as long as it didn't make much of a change. Even Kai himself couldn't deny the lack of answers he gave. Taehyun chose to ignore it. Everything from the night Kai ran away from the cops in that alley to his stab wound.

From the "You shouldn't be here"'s to even his own brother telling Taehyun to stay away.

Stay away. Leave while you can. A bullet does not leave Taehyun much to think about, let alone a gold and black one.

Taehyun breathing turns shagged. The 2 seconds end and he tears his eyes from Kai's because he's worried if he won't his brain will come up with more reasons not to trust the boy in front of him. "Are you lying to me?" He takes a few steps back. His back hits the table. Mr. Harrison, their sociology professor... why would he- is he dead?

Something in Kai's expression shatters at the insinuation. "No." he croaks. "Taehyun... I didn't- I didn't-"

They drag him away.

"Taehyun! Please, listen to me!" Kai yells and the redhead balls his hands into trembling fists on the sides of his body. "Let go!"

"Taehyun!"

....................

Beomgyu waits in the large hallway outside of the venue. It offers drinks and finger foods, but he just hangs around the lobby with a bouquet in his hands.

He already exchanged greetings with Yeonjun's parents who of course are here to watch their son perform. Maybe people pass by Beomgyu with champagne glasses in their hands, opening the doors to enter the venue but it is much quieter outside than it is inside.

So, he opts for staying in the lobby until his friends arrive. He's not nervous about seating, he knows Yeonjun reserved seats for every guest of his attending.

"Hey, Beommie." his pretty boyfriend walks towards him with his stage makeup and outfit on. He smiles shyly, giving Beomgyu a kiss on the lips. "You look wonderful, Hyung," Beomgyu responds in awe. He gives Yeonjun the flowers. "How are you doing? Any jitters?"