Chapter Thirty-Five

NT: This is Detective Nathan Troy. Today is Friday and the date is November 19th two thousand twenty-four. The time is 6:27 in the morning. This is a taped questioning of Kai Kamal Huening of the potential murder of Jack Harrison.

NT: What I have done is state the basic facts so we can begin. On your right sits the lawyer we have assigned to you who you can confide in at any time, okay?

HK: could you tell me about the reasons for my being here again?

NT: A street camera caught you entering and leaving your professor's house, Jack Harrison on the 13th last Friday. He is currently missing and considered dead. Do you remember breaking into his house, Kai?

HK: I don't understand the question.

NT: (inaudible) So, do you remember? (inaudible)

HK: Why are you covering the recorder?

NT: I was checking if it was working properly. How did you enter Jack's house? Did you have a key? Footage shows you got there an hour before he did, and the house was locked. It didn't seem like he was waiting for someone, so you must have entered on your own, is that right?

NT: I do need your answer, Kai.

HK: (inaudible)

Kai whispers something to his lawyer. Nathan sees their hushed conversation and stops the recorder. He clears his throat and eyes the lawyer, lifting his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, but if the police say you're fine... "he whispers back to Kai. "They are allowed-"

Nathan nods.

"-to question you."

"I think you know it is not fine."

The lawyer shifts in his place, looking uncomfortable. He feels the glare of Nathan in the corner of his eyes. "I do not see a problem Mr. Huening." He avoids Kai's scrutinizing eyes.

"Should we continue, then?"

NT: Let's say you did go in on your own. You waited for Jack to get home, then you killed him, is that right?

HK: No.

NT: A witness heard two gunshots from Jack's house. His neighbors called us mere minutes after filing a noise complaint. Did you use a gun, Kai?

HK: (inaudible) Could I get ibuprofen?

NT: (Inaudible)

HK: (Inaudible) You can't (Inaudible) won't answer a thing.

NT: Did you use a gun, yes or no?

HK: No.

NT: Your story does not add up. You were seen in Jack Harrison-

HK: Near Mr. Harrison's house.

NT: No, you were inside in home.

HK: Do you have a proof for that statement?

NT: (Inaudible) Delete (Inaudible) You were inside, and you shot Jack Harrison two times, is that correct?

Let the record show the suspect is remaining quiet.

NT: Did you or did you not?

HK: (inaudible)

NT: speak louder, please. Our recorder does not pick up your voice.

HK: (inaudible) truly (inaudible) even water will do.

NT: You are straying from the subject. Lift your head, Kai. I can't see your face.