Chapter Forty-Five

The third officer gets a ping from his phone as they walk to the exit. He reads the message and taps Hiro. "We got a report from a pedestrian."

"What is it?"

"Smoke from the woods next to the industrial area," he informs. "They were on a train and saw the smoke from afar. Cyber are saying they couldn't get an accurate location because the train has since moved, but it's likely where we are going."

Hiro nods, fixing the gun in his belt. He nudges Beomgyu gently past the car doors. "Call the fire department, don't tell them it's suspected or a fear of. The last thing I want them is laid back. As far as we are concerned, this is a real fire." he says. "we'll be in touch on the radio line."

They split up and Hiro drives off with Beomgyu and Yeonjun; siren blaring atop of their heads. The roads are not as busy as one might think and it feels like they are driving so fast they might be flying on the asphalt.

"How long Has your brother been missing?" he asks.

Beomgyu runs his hand in his hair, the other one interlocks with Yeonjun's fingers. The blond looks at his boyfriend with concerned eyes. "From last night."

"How old is he?"

"21."

Hiro nods; tightening his grip on the wheel. He takes a left. "We will find him, what is your name?"

"It's Beomgyu."

"I'll make sure your brother is just fine, Beomgyu. Worry not," he says in a clear tone and Beomgyu nods gratefully; too worried and cluttered with thought about Kai to give a verbal thanks. Yeonjun rubs circles around the back of his hand with his thumb and gives him a kiss on the head. "It'll be alright, Baby," he whispers. "He'll be okay."

Beomgyu blinks the tears from his eyes.

Turning the volume up on the radio line; Hiro clears his throat. "Fuma."

Static noise. "Yes, Sir?" a response is heard.

"Call an ambulance just in case, let's stay on top of things."

"Sure thing."

"And for fuck's sake, step on that gas. You drive like my Nana." They pass through a bridge and the scenery turns vastly different than the busy city they are so used to seeing. Instead, there are large fields of yellowish grass and institutes that look like factories.

Hiro takes a right turn at the exit and suddenly other than the three other cop cars, they are the only ones on the road. Only ones but a gray Citroen passing by them from the other direction at great speed. "Fuma."

"I saw it too, Sir. Should I follow the car?"

"Now." Hiro orders.

The car on their right turns off its sirens and pulls to a full sudden stop, they barely see it anymore but Beomgyu turns around and watches from the back how the car turns around and starts following the Citroen; driving away from them.

"I'm on their tail, Sir." they hear Fuma talking; a rookie officer with a thick Daegyu accent.

Hiro purses his lips. "Copy that. Check trunk and I.D., licenses. Everything. Don't make any arrests before talking to me first."

"Got it. Good luck."

Static. "Sir?

"David," Hiro responds.

"We're getting reports of smoke from the woods."

"The moisture is high tonight and we're expecting rain," Hiro says. "The fire won't spread easily."