Alica's pov

Author's note: I can't believe we reached 6K reads on this book, I am so thankful for all the support you guys have given me! My summer break just started so hopefully going to finish the story around the start of july? and start god of demise around the mid of july? anyways enjoy this short chapter, new chapter will be out on monday est. love ya!

My cries pierced the air as Vaughn's lifeless body hit the ground with a dull thud. Yanking free of my restraints, I rushed to his side, my heart shattering at the sight of the blood soaking through his shirt.

"No, no, no," I whispered brokenly, collapsing to my knees beside him, my sobs wracking my body. Time seemed to stand still as I wept, my tears soaking into the fabric.

Ariella's gentle voice reached me then, as she wrapped her arms around me. "It's okay, Alicia. It's okay," she soothed, but the words offered little comfort.

"No," I croaked, my grief-stricken voice barely above a whisper. I clung to Ariella, my tears staining her shirt.

Kirill, Vaughn's father, approached, his face etched with concern. "My son's a fighter," he said, reaching out a weathered hand to help me up. "Let's get you some rest. We'll visit him tomorrow."

Dazedly, I allowed Kirill and my own father to guide me to the car. The ride home was a blur, the world outside the window just a kaleidoscope of color. Eli carried me inside, Creighton tucking me into bed with a sad smile.

"Stupid mafia, am I right, sis?" Creighton whispered, but his attempt at levity fell flat.

"Yeah, stupid mafia," I sniffled, the words barely audible.

As I forced myself to sleep, Vaughn's blood haunted my dreams, my sobs soaking my pillow. And at the end of it all, the grim reaper's mocking laughter echoed in my mind, a cruel reminder of the fragility of life.