Chapter 21:

It's not your fault, Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan's POV:

The days blended together for Obi-Wan after he escaped Mandalore alone. His mind felt like it was constantly floating under murky water, only reemerging for bursts of anger or sadness or guilt. He hadn't told anyone of what had happened yet - he still couldn't believe it himself.

How could he have let you d- he couldn't even think the words, let alone say them.

Obi-Wan was recalled to Coruscant for the Council meeting regarding the latest incident of the Temple bombing. All of the Masters believed Ahsoka to be responsible, except him, Yoda and Plo Koon. However, the majority had spoken and the hearing was only a formality. All the evidence was against her, but he couldn't believe the allegations despite the information served to him. Knowing all the intel you had provided him with - that Palpatine hadn't even cared to share with the Jedi, probably for unknown but obviously selfish reasons - he had started to doubt the truthfulness behind the evidence as well. Perhaps, there is still a missing piece of the puzzle.

"A fair trial, Padawan Tano will have, in accordance with Jedi tradition."

"Ah yes, your tradition," Tarkin spoke in a patronizing tone, "I'm afraid that the senate believes that an internal Jedi trial would seem biased. Therefore, the Senate asks that the Council expel Ahsoka Tano from the Order, so that she may be put to a Republic military tribunal, where she may receive more impartial judgment."

"And who would represent Ahsoka in this tribunal, Admiral?"

"That would be up to the Council, General, but I would recommend someone outside of the Order."

How dare he?! That slimy man was doing the Chancellor's bidding! He wants to discredit the Jedi Council and have Ahsoka made an example of! Tarkin was corrupt, Obi-Wan could see the thirst of power in his eyes. He had no doubt about it.

"Surely we cannot do what Tarkin suggested. We need to stand together with Ahsoka!" He tried to defend the young Padawan, who he had come to see as a daughter, but everyone seemed to be against him while he glanced at the others pleading for the Togruta.

"And yet, there's evidence that she is indeed behind the attack of the Temple."

"She was found in possession of nanodroid explosives. This alone is enough to convict her."

"I understand your sentiment, Obi-Wan, but if the Council does as you suggest, it could be seen as an act of opposition to the Senate. I'm afraid we have little choice." The Masters tried to rationalize their decision.

Stupid Tarkin! Stupid Senate! Stupid politics! Stupid Council!! The senate is corrupt, and we won't do anything about it, but actually hand over Ahsoka to them!?

*****

"Padawan Tano, serious charges have been levied against you, what plead you?"

"Not guilty, Master." The hope shining in her eyes, made pangs of pain and guilt erupt in Obi-Wan's chest. She was hoping - trusting - that the Council would stand with her and defend her, yet all they were going to do was abandon her to her fate, to a farce set up by the government.

"I would never take the lives of innocents. The values of the Jedi are sacred to me."

"There is evidence to the contrary. You were alone with Letta when she died, can you explain this?"

"Someone used the force against her."

"Which brings us to Ventress. Can you explain your association with her?"