Episode 283 Chapter 53: Shadow Cast By The Wind (5)

Shadow Cast By The Wind (5)

The relationship between humans and dark magicians is a one-way street. This is a matter of fate and should not be difficult to understand.

"Humans can become dark magicians, but dark magicians cannot become human."

It was a very simple and clear proposition, and it was also an absolute and immutable law.

The term "human" above includes most species in this world.

Elves, beastmen, dwarves, and all beings with intelligence, the ability to use magic, and emotions and rationality.

Any being that can use magic, even if it's a squirrel or a puppy, can contract with the otherworld, offer their heart, and turn their mana black.

In exchange for offering their heart, a magician can gain power and knowledge beyond their talents and understand the unknown world they merge with.

There's a famous story about a certain magician who, unable to resist his curiosity, contracted with a powerful persona while researching the Persona Gate but lost all his knowledge and magical rationality because he couldn't withstand it.

However, in gaining immense power, magicians do not only offer their hearts.

It was not uncommon for them to give up their emotions and even their rationality, making it impossible to live as they once did, and they had to consume the hearts of their own kind to survive after becoming dark magicians.

An elf-born dark magician would need elf hearts, and a human-born dark magician would need human hearts.

There are extremely rare exceptions.

There is a legend that offspring born from the union of a dark magician and a different species, with a probability of 0.000001%, can survive without consuming hearts and are born with very strong abilities of both dark magicians and humans... But no one has ever actually seen this, so it's just a legend.

(TL: isn't ma yuseoung such a case?)

This is because dark magicians are incapable of reproduction.

And even if such a being were born, it would be killed immediately.

Dark magicians do not want to accept weak dark magicians who have bred with mere humans into their society.

"These are the characteristics of species."

The Witch King.

Or the Sorcerer of the Seasons.

Or the Worst Witch.

Or the Mentor of the Green Tower Lord.

Or... "Scarlet Maiden."

With her milk-white hair and golden eyes, the girl with a name that didn't suit her appearance slowly reviewed and searched the knowledge stored in her mind.

Every species has "species characteristics."

Elves prefer vegetarianism, dwarves have good craftsmanship, and humans must form groups to survive.

However, these are not absolute and can change flexibly depending on individuals.

For example, in the last century, a peculiar elf who liked meat led many young elves to enjoy meat, dwarves who did not hone their craftsmanship skills but focused on magic appeared, and humans who shut themselves in and did not participate in social activities emerged, showing that species characteristics can change at any time depending on the surrounding environment and individual tendencies.