Episode 243 Chapter 49: Witch(10)

Witch (10)

I followed the witch hunter into his subspace and was once again faced with that peculiar sense of discomfort I had felt before.

It wasn't anything particularly special.

All around were fragments of the remains of countless creatures, used as experiment subjects. While I knew that this horrifying scene was the result of the witch hunter's desperate attempts to prolong his life, I couldn't help but feel a physiological revulsion.

"It seems the interior has changed a bit since last time. Did you remodel after I visited?"

From what I heard, this witch hunter had only just begun and had only managed to hunt seven witches.

Some might say "only seven," but even that is quite impressive.

In a world where witches are almost extinct, the fact that he found seven was proof enough that this witch hunter had lived for decades.

"Let's see... Anyway, I should gather what I need."

With my bulbul glasses on, I glanced around the lab and found that there were more useful tools for witch hunting than I had initially expected.

There weren't many magical tools I could use, but there were enough items that could serve as defensive equipment.

"Is this Allegro's Death Cloak? No, it's not. Why do you have a half-burnt cloak? It's a fake."

It was a trophy from hunting a witch. I didn't realize it was fake...

"Okay, I'll take Allegro's piercing, and what's this? Get rid of this junk. Oh, you have Pahalen's Ancient Bracelet too? Why do you have something like this without wrists?"

-...I used to have them.

"Here's Sahalen's Beaker. Can I take this?"

You recognize good magic tools. That beaker contains a barrier seal created by an ancient mage to trap a witch's soul. Planning to capture a witch?

"No, I'm going to use it as a bomb. It burns well when ignited."

Ignoring the witch hunter's gaze, I gathered what I needed. The witch hunter took great pride in witch hunting, so now that he knew I was genuinely going to hunt a witch, he wouldn't interfere.

"Are you... taking all of that?"

"Oh, I'll return it after using it."

(TL: most shameless lie I've heard in ages)

-...Fine.

After gathering suitable magical tools, I glanced slyly at the beaker containing the essence of a witch.

Sigh.

The witch hunter moved slightly to block it as I licked my lips.

Damn it, he's quick to notice.

But honestly, I wasn't planning to take more of the witch's essence.

The witch's crystal ball I already had was over 500 years old and couldn't grow any further.

Moreover, due to the side effects of the crystal ball, I kept hearing hallucinations, so why would I want to strengthen it further?

"Oh, by the way."

-...What is it this time?

I should ask while I remember.

"Hey, do you know what happens when a human is exposed to a witch's magic?"

Of course.

"This is just about someone I know, but what does it mean if someone keeps hearing voices in the air after being exposed to a witch's magic?"