Someone I Thought I Knew

Peeta

I wish I was faster. I wish I was stronger. I wish I was smarter. I wish I was able to stop Katniss. Waking up in a hospital bed is not something that anyone should do, except when they are born. Around me stands Haymitch, Gale, Prim, Mrs. Everdeen, Finnick, and Annie. They all look like they want to ask me something but they seem to keep thinking better of it. I think they want to ask what happened but think I will break in to millions of pieces if I talk about it.

"She got away." I whisper lifting my eyes to meet Haymitch's blue ones. 

"What happened? How did she get away?" Haymitch questions softly, but at this point I know for a fact I won't break because if I break who is going to be the hero. Who is going to save Katniss? 

"When we went to sleep I heard footsteps and someone placing something on the desk. I peaked quickly not wanting to notify the person in my room that I was awake, just in case they were an enemy. I saw Katniss dressed in all black exiting the room. When I heard the door close I quickly glance through the letter only to see that it was a goodbye. I ran out the room dropping the journal to the floor. I saw Katniss walking slowly towards the exit so I grabbed her shoulder. We both began screaming before she began to run. I followed her for what seemed like eternity before she began to slowly slow down. In the end I tackled her causing her to break her nose," I see every one wince at that, and that only makes tears form in my eyes, but I hold them in, "There was so much blood but that didn't stop her she ended up kneeing my in the... you know where. She tried to run again but I grabbed her wrist before she could even take one step. The momentum put her in my chest and we ended up looking in to each others eyes. I fell for it again. She used the one thing she knew I would react to. She used it, and she used me. Katniss ran again but this time towards the kitchen. Following her in, was probably one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. When I enter I see her standing there waiting. Why is she stopping? Was probably the only thing going through my head. We stare at each other again but after a while she fake lunges. I took the bait and lunged back but I missed and she took the hilt of her knife and hits me hard across the jaw, rendering me unconscious." I touch the new scar in remembrance. Before anyone can react I get up from the hospital bed and march towards Coin's office. I hear two people walking behind me but I ignore them.

Without any warning I walk in to the room. "I am ready its time to launch the rebellion. I am ready for this and either you give me permission and a team or I will storm the damn Capital myself!" I tell the grey haired women in front of me and I can see that she is stressed but at this point I don't have the will power to care, I just need to get to the Capital.

She stares at me for a moment before responding, "We have a plan, Peeta. Your team is already assembled but you don't fight, you are for show! You have to wait and if you leave 13 I will hurt all those who love you and care for you. On top of that you also will be on the hit list in the Capital, we see you we kill you. Do you still want to storm the Capital, Mr. Mellark?"

"Yes, I do because it is people like you who I am suppose to fight against. You say you are fighting Snow to stop his tyranny but I am now opposing that. You are a conniving snake just like he is. So I will say what I said earlier to Snow, you will burn with us and I will make sure you do. You are not allowed to threaten my family. NO ONE is allowed to threaten my family unless they want to guarantee failure, which if I am not wrong you just did, but it could be the wind. Did you Alma?"

"No I didn't, Peeta. But can you at least follow the battle plan it is fool proof and no offense to you but heading straight towards the 'damn Capital' is stupid. You will die before you can even put one foot inside the gates."

"Okay, I will follow the plan as long as the hovercraft leaves by sundown tomorrow." Before another word can be said I leave the room. Outside awaits Haymitch and Gale who from the looks of it are trying to act casual but are failing miserably. 

Sheepishly I rub the back of my neck and ask, "Did you hear all that?" 

"Yes, we did Lover Boy and let me be the first to say. You grew some balls, boy. Seriously you were on fire, Katniss might have to give up her title if you keep that attitude. But you needed that and so did she. I think if she gains control after all of this everything might not be over. She might even be worse than Snow." Haymitch tells me as we head towards the compartment that I used to share. Haymitch dismisses himself but Gale stays. Gale and I may have reached a parlay with the whole Katniss situation. We had decided to see who she would chose and no matter what we wouldn't try to change it. It was a silent agreement that he has upheld so far. 

"How the hell could you let her go? You were suppose to protect her! You were suppose to save her from herself! You couldn't even stop her from sacrificing herself. I thought you were the one for her. I thought you were capable of loving her. But I guess I was wrong. You are pathetic Peeta Mellark. You don't deserve her, Peeta. You are weak. You are meant to be alone and I will make sure you will be. You are also a murderer Peeta. You killed your parents, your brothers, your fellow tributes, Mags, Delly, and so many more. You don't deserve to breath the air you do." He says. He winds his freakishly long arm back giving me a black eye. Before he leaves he spits in my face.

I am a murderer, a coward, a idiot, a pathetic waste of space. I knew that, but now I know so does everyone else. For the first time in two weeks I cry myself to sleep knowing that what ever happens the next couple of weeks, it will take all of who I am. 

Author's Note

I feel horrible I said that I was going to post every week but I didn't. I am sorry but I hope you like this chapter because you really can't go back in time to fix this, but if I could I would! 

Peeta is having to be tough for everyone else but inside he is breaking. Katniss and Peeta both want to protect everyone else besides themselves. What the heck is going on with Gale? Do you think he will come around or do you think he will always hate Peeta with a burning passion? I also have a question about how I am ending this story. I have two ideas so if I posted one on this story and then another one separately would you read both of them? 

Please comment on what you guys like about the story because I really want to hear what you guys think. Alright guys comment, recommend, add to your library, and vote because I promise you this is only going to get better. Ciao!