The Enemy

Katniss

"Katniss!" Peeta's voice howls for me. But this time I don't answer. Beetee still breathes faintly beside me. He and I will soon die. Finnick and Enobaria will die. Peeta is alive. Two cannons have sounded. Brutus, Johanna, Chaff. Two of them are already dead. That will leave Peeta with only one tribute to kill. And that is the very best I can do. One enemy.

Enemy. Enemy. The word is tugging at a recent memory. Pulling it into the present. The look on Haymitch's face. "Katniss, when you're in the arena ..." The scowl, the misgiving."What?" I hear my own voice tighten as I bristle at some unspoken accusation. "You just remember who the enemy is," Haymitch says. "That's all."

Haymitch's last words of advice to me. Why would I need reminding? I have always known who the enemy is. Who starves and tortures and kills us in the arena. Who will soon kill everyone I love.

My bow drops as his meaning registers. Yes, I know who the enemy is. And it's not Enobaria.

I finally see Beetee's knife with clear eyes. My shaking hands slide the wire from the hilt, wind it around the arrow just above the feathers, and secure it with a knot picked up in training.

I rise, turning to the force field, fully revealing myself but no longer caring. Only caring about where I should direct my tip, where Beetee would have driven the knife if he'd been able to choose. My bow tilts up at the wavering square, the flaw, the ... what did he call it that day? The chink in the armor. I let the arrow fly, see it hit its mark and vanish, pulling the thread of gold behind it. I feel the claw of the hovercraft pick me up. Please let me die before I enter that hovercraft, I pray. Right before the darkness takes me I swear I see the menacing smile of President Snow.

Peeta

"Katniss" I howl. This time she doesn't answer. I had just made my first intentional kills, Brutus and Chaff; I didn't even have time to think before Katniss started scream my name. I need her to survive. I need to ask her if she ever loved me. I need to ask her if any of those kisses meant anything. I need to tell her I love her not for the cameras but for her, the most beautiful girl in the world. I run and run as fast as my feet can take me. Suddenly I slip in something red I look down and see a dangerous pool of blood. I slowly stand up hoping that this doesn't belong to my beloved Katniss. That's when I see it an arrow with a wire attached flying into the sky lightening erupts throughout the whole arena the force making me fly into a near by tree. I vaguely remember seeing a claw coming towards me before I see black.

Authors Note

Hi! This is my first story so please help me by commenting below on how I can fix it and make it better. Thx!!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤