Chapter Twenty Three - Cara's POV

Thirty three. The number of tiles I have on my bedroom ceiling. Three by eleven. I've been doing this for hours now, staring at nothing. I feel overwhelmed. Like someone is sitting on my chest and I can't breathe. Some contributing causes could be that Olivia is being a bitch. Aria is acting like a hormonal mess. My dad is never home anymore. I think I'm going to fail the semester. School is biting my ass. I haven't gotten any new information from the private investigator and I don't know where I stand with Ruby.

In my delusional three in the morning state, the fact that I don't know what Ruby and I are right now is the biggest problem. Do I want to be more than friends? Does she? Am I overthinking everything?

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by my phone ringing, giving me a headache. Upon answering the phone I was met with quiet breathing before a vomit of words

"Okay Cara I need to ask you this. Are we like more than friends? Because I really like you, I've liked you since that night and I need to tell you this because I want to go out with you. I sound so stupid but I can't explain this right and now your not saying anything and this is getting awkward. You don't feel the same way about me now do you? Shit okay let's just go back, pretend this didn't happen it's all good..." Ruby says at superhuman speed before I interrupt her.

"Dude. Shut up. I like you too" I declare smiling to myself, thankful to finally know where we stand.

"Ok cool, um do you want to go out Saturday?" She asks seeming unsure and nervous for my answer.

"Yeah sure that sounds good"

"I'll pick you up at seven"

"Okay"

"Okay"

"Maybe okay will be our always"

"Don't make me regret asking you out Cara" Ruby threatens jokingly.

"Bye"

"Bye"

Hanging up I couldn't stop smiling. She asked me out. YAY.

"Cara! Come down here it's dinnertime" my older brother, Aiden screams.

Running down the stairs I couldn't stop grinning, everything seemed beautiful.

"What are you smiling about?" My dad asks curiously.

"Nothing. I'm just happy" I answer before sitting down at the table, already occupied by Maddi, Luke, Aiden, Nathan (other brother) and his girlfriend Emma.

"What the fuck are you smoking Cara? I want some" Aiden asks jokingly.

"Nothing. I'm just happy right now. Get of my back douchebag" I fire back, my innocent smile curling into something more sinister.

"Just let her be happy Aiden" Maddi says suddenly before pulling herself and Luke up to stand.

"Anyway we have some special news to share" she declares before looking at Luke with a look that can only be described as pure love and admiration.

"We have decided to get MARRIED!!!" Maddi screams before capturing Luke in a kiss in appropriate for the dinner table.

"OMG congratulations"

"That's awesome"

"You picked a keeper"

"Aaahhh I can't wait you'll be such a pretty bride"

"Finally!!!"

"Is she pregnant?"

We all turned to look at Aiden who was sitting there seemingly upset about the news.

"No we just want to symbolise our love, to let everyone know how much we love each other" Luke defends looking into Maddi's eyes.

"This calls for celebration, everyone get your coats we are heading out for dinner" my dad declares, not being able to wipe the smile off of his face.

With that everyone got their coats and headed out the door. I couldn't help but stay back and take in the beautiful picture my family makes.