🌺CHAPTER-30

WORDS: 4800+
***************
Salar came out of office that day after lunch break from some work. Seeing the rush of traffic at the railway crossing, he turned the car from a distance. He didn't want to waste time getting stuck in a traffic jam at that time.

He turned the car back and took a turn onto another road. He had gone a little further on the road when he saw an old lady sitting on the pavement by the side of the road. It was a high road and was completely deserted at that time. The lady looked like she belonged to a very good family by her dress and face. Some gold bangles were also visible in his hands and Salar was worried that he might meet with an accident on this lonely road. He stopped the car near them. The white complexion of the lady was red at that time and she was out of breath and maybe she was sitting on the side of the road to catch her breath.

"Assalamualaikum Amma! What is the problem, why are you sitting here?" Salar asked, taking off his sunglasses and poking his head out of the window.

"Son! I can't get a rickshaw."

Salar was surprised at her words. That was not the main road. There was a high road in a residential area and a rickshaw was unlikely to be found there.

"Amma! You can't even get a rickshaw from here. Where do you want to go?"

The woman told him the name of an inner city area. It was absolutely impossible for Salar to leave her there.

"You come with me. I leave you on the main road. From there you will get a rickshaw."

Salar unlocked the back door and then got down from his seat, but Amma ji looked at him with great concern. He understood her fears.

"Amma! There is no need to be afraid. I am a gentleman. I will not harm you. I just want to help you, because you will not get a rickshaw from this road and the road is deserted at that time, you is wearing a jewel, someone can harm you."

Salar gently tried to allay their apprehensions. The woman adjusted her glasses and looked at her bangles and then said to Salar. "All this jewelry is fake."

"Come on, that's great, but anyone can be misunderstood. Someone will ask you if this jewel is real or fake."

Salar said covering her lie. She was now lost in thought. Salar was late.

"Okay, Amma! You are not suitable......." As he stepped back towards his car, Amma immediately spoke up.

"No, no. I go with you. Legs are already breaking."

She started trying to get up by pushing on her legs. Salar grabbed her arm and lifted her up. He opened the door of the back seat and sat her inside.

He quickly crossed the high road and came to the main road. Now he was looking for a rickshaw but he didn't see any rickshaw.  He drove slowly, scanning the traffic for an empty rickshaw.

"What is your son's name?"

"Salar"

"Salar?" As she wanted confirmation. He smiled. For the first time in his life he heard his name being spoken. There was no point in correction. She was a Punjabi lady and was barely speaking to him in Urdu.

"Yes," Salar confirmed.

"What is this name, what does it mean?" She was immediately interested.

Salar explained to him the meaning of his name this time in Punjabi. Amma was very happy that she spoke Punjabi and now she started talking in Punjabi.

After asking the meaning of Salar's name, she said. "My eldest daughter-in-law has a son."

He was surprised, he didn't expect his next sentence after learning the meaning of the name.