Chapter 6: Into the Pack

Evly's POV
Letting out a deep breath from barricading the doors I turn around and almost scream and jump in surprise.

"Ah! What are you doing?? You're supposed to be inside! And what did I just tell you! Don't touch that it could detonate or something! Ugh! It's not safe out here! Especially with your amount of curiosity! Ever heard the saying curiosity killed the cat!"

Oh please let the attacker be gone already!

"Hey! I'm the Alpha of the pack here so actually I have a right to investigate thank you very much! And I'm a wolf, a very big dog, not a cat."

Ugh..... This is the last thing I needed!

"FINE! Just don't touch anything and let me do the investigating part. This is a hunter weapon so I'd know a lot more about it than you do anyways."

I move closer to the arrow and he moves away. I examine the arrow head and notice a little bit of poison residue. I take the arrow out of the ground for a better look.

"You said not to touch it and yet you're yanking it out of the ground."

 "I know what I'm doing, alright big guy?"

I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to the arrow. I could tell Mason felt awkward in the silence. "So. What exactly were you doing in that tree before you fell on top of me?"

I can feel the heat rush to my cheeks and I just hope he's not looking at me. I cleared my throat, rather obviously before responding. "Well..." I need to sound calm! "Why do you want to know? I was there because you don't catch onto obvious facts."

I made sure to keep my eyes on the arrow looking for anything suspicious and so I wouldn't start blushing more then I already am.

"But I made up for it right?"

Cocky much.

"What do you mean by 'made up for it'!!"

"You mean you didn't like kissing me." I stand up hoping my face would cool off and I turn to face him. 

"I didn't kiss you, I fell and then you kissed me. Forcefully!"

He chuckles. Seriously.

"Ha! But you did kiss back!"

I simply role my eyes in response, not wanting him to know how much he was getting to me. I awkwardly go back to the arrow and find a note attached.

"Hey come look at this." Mason now standing next to me puts his hand by mine as we open the note and try to read it.

"It's blank." He's right.

"What? How could it be blank! That doesn't make any sense! No hunter sends an arrow without hitting its target and just leaves a blank piece of paper. There has to be something on it!" But what! What could it possibly be!

Mason leads me down a path straight to his office to see if we can figure out what the blank note means. As we entered the study, Mason immediately takes the note to his desk and puts it under a magnifying glass.

"Do you see anything?"

"Nothing. It's still blank."

All of a sudden we hear someone unlocking the door to the study. I quickly draw my bow and arrow, ready to shoot the intruder. The door quickly opens and then closes, Katie coming through. I drop my bow and arrow seeing it's just Katie.

"Katie? What are you doing here?" Me and Mason both look at her with confused looks.

"Well I was hoping to help you guys out! That's it I promise!"