34 - The smell of ashes

BA DUMP 

BA DUMP

'What happened?'

'How did this happen?'

Everything was a blur

Maybe because of the smoke everything looked blurry than it should.

I could hear the crackling sound of the fire around the area..

My hands are all dirty, mixed with grime and dried blood..

My eyes desperately searched for people I knew, bodies scattered around the area..

The bridge..wrecked..

Shops...wrecked...

Houses...wrecked...

'Haru...where are you?'

'I'm scared..'

My feet just went on and on until it stopped, 

I gulped the saliva that got stuck on my throat

The scene in front of me nearly took out the air in my lungs.

All my friends are on the ground.

"....What...happened..?" I let out as I hurriedly walked up to them and crouched on the ground, my hands searched for a pulse.

I let out a sigh of relief once I felt it, "They're still alive..thank goodness.." 

"S-sakura-chan.." 

My eyes immediately went over to Suo and held his hand in mine, "Suo-san? I'm here..what happened..?"

"They saw him.."

'What?'

"Saw who?" I asked as I looked at his face, scratches scattered around his cheek, dried blood on the side of his mouth..his pretty face was all messed up.

"...you..remember the rule r-right..? If they see Umemiya-san leave the school grounds..we're done for"

'No..'

'Don't tell me-'

I could feel my heartbeat race as I gripped his hand tighter-

"Sakura-chan..your brother...look for him..he was looking for you" Suo said as he rubbed his thumb against my hand. 

"But what if someone comes here and wrecks you guys even more..?" I said as I looked at our hands.