New Life

Marie woke up in an unknown location after three days of being unconscious. She was clueless as to where she was. She rose out of bed, going downstairs. She was confused, but amazed of where she was. It was a very spacious house, complete with all the amenities. The lass approaches a woman who was cooking in the kitchen.

"Oh, you're awake?" the lady told her while preparing lunch.

"Who are you?" Marie asked, "Where am I?".

"I'm Cynthia, I am your aunt. My husband, Gabo, went out for a while, but he'll be here in a minute," said the lady.

"I don't understand, where my Mama is?" a confused Marie asked, Cynthia accompanied her to the couch and sat down.

"Marie, don't be shocked by what I will tell you, okay?" Cynthia said, "Lita is dead."

"You're lying" Marie broke down, visibly stunned by what her aunt said "My Mama is still alive."

A man appeared behind her. He was of great built and said. "Marika snapped her neck and threw her body in the river."

Marie was stunned, her face turned pale upon hearing the news.

"No!" she wailed, becoming hysterical, unable to accept the fact that her mother was killed; Cynthia wrapped her arms around the lass to comfort her.

"Gabo, you're adding fuel to the fire," Cynthia told the man.

"We were already too late when we arrived," Gabo explained "You were almost killed; Marika got you in the neck"

"Marie, I'm sorry for your loss," Cynthia added "We did everything we could to save her"

"It's my fault," Marie wailed "It's my fault why they died."

"Don't blame yourself, they're a product of such society's evil exploitation," Gabo said.

"If I didn't fall in love with Edward, they should've been alive by now," Marie said, couldn't hold back her emotions.

Marie sat down on the couch weeping like there is no tomorrow. She wiped her tears and notice a familiar face walking towards her.

"Mang Caloy," she wailed, embracing the old man

Mang Caloy caressed the lass' hair, feeling the guilt and the sorrow of the young lady who has lost her parent.

"They're right Marie," said Mang Caloy "They saved you and even if they wouldn't, you couldn't defeat that woman."

"Marie, do not cry, were still here for you," Cynthia comforted the lass "We will take care of you."

"I want to go to her grave," Marie pleaded, "I want to visit her for one last time."

"We can't do that, they might kill you," Gabo explained "They're hunting you."

"Please, I beg you," Marie cried, "I want to make sure that they're buried properly."

"Let's talk about it later," Cynthia said "But for now, just take a rest, you're still weak."

----

Marie returned to her room to take a rest, while Mang, Caloy, Gabo and Cynthia sat down in front of the dining table, serious and thinking of what would they do with Marie's plea. The two were inconsolable about their decision. The old man sat in front of the table, holding a glass of wine.

"What will happen to her now?" Cynthia asked.

"Poor kid, her life became miserable because of this underground war," Mang Caloy answered "Let's just adopt her for now."