The History of the Sage

The air in the Marino Mansion was heavy with a mix of tension and grief. The arrival of Lia, Riria, and Akiko, sisters to the late Pope John XXIV, had brought with it an undeniable sense of finality. The family had gathered in preparation for their departure to Rome for the funeral of their brother, Julio, who had served the world as Pope John XXIV, and now left behind a complicated legacy. The Marino siblings had faced countless trials over the years, but this felt like a turning point, a moment of profound reflection.

In the main drawing room, Rafael, Kanna, Ryoma, and Monica stood with Lia, their expressions somber as they listened to her recount the details of their brother's passing. Lia, the eldest sister, held herself with a regal grace, her presence commanding but gentle. Her younger sisters, Riria and Akiko, sat quietly nearby, lost in their own thoughts.

Lia spoke softly but clearly, her voice tinged with sorrow. "The news of Julio's passing came as a shock to us all. Though we knew his health was failing, none of us expected it to happen so suddenly. We must now make the journey to Rome, as is expected of the family."

Monica exchanged a glance with her mother, Kanna, who remained stoic but empathetic. Despite the complex histories and the burdens that came with being part of the Marino legacy, family still held a deep meaning for them all.

But there was something else lingering beneath Lia's words, something she had yet to reveal. Monica could feel it—there was more to the story than just the death of their brother.

Lia turned her sharp gaze to Rafael, her expression shifting from sorrow to something darker, more urgent. "Before we depart, there is something I must tell you. Something that affects all of us."

Rafael, standing beside Kanna, straightened, his eyes narrowing slightly. "What is it, Lia?"

Lia's eyes darkened as she began to speak, her voice filled with a quiet intensity. "It concerns Tai Hun Kwai."

At the mention of Kwai's name, the room seemed to grow colder. Monica felt a chill run down her spine, her thoughts immediately returning to the conversation she had overheard between her parents and Arjan. Kwai had already positioned himself as a threat, but now, it seemed that there was more to the story than any of them realized.

"Kwai," Lia continued, her voice steady but grim, "is married to Marika, our aunt."

Rafael's eyes widened slightly, and Monica noticed the subtle shift in his posture—his muscles tensing as the gravity of the revelation settled in.

"Marika?" Kanna asked, her brow furrowing. "She was Tarcisio's sister, wasn't she? I never knew much about her."

Lia nodded. "Yes. Marika was the sister of our father, Tarcisio Marino, which makes her the aunt of Karl, Ricardo, Julio, and myself, as well as our late sister, Katrina. But there's more. Marika and Tai Hun Kwai have been working together for years, manipulating events behind the scenes."

Rafael exhaled slowly, his eyes narrowing with suspicion. "I knew Kwai was dangerous, but I didn't know he had such close ties to the Marino family."

Lia's expression hardened. "There's something else you need to know. Kwai and Marika made an alliance with Javier Barbarin—the rogue Sage."

The mention of Javier Barbarin sent shockwaves through the room. Javier was a name long associated with betrayal and darkness, a Sage who had once been a trusted ally but had turned against the Marino family in a bid for power. His alliance with Tai Hun Kwai now added a dangerous layer to the history of deception and betrayal.