The Other Marino Child

The heavy clouds hung low over the quiet town of Santa Lucia, a small, sleepy place miles away from the grandeur of the Marino Estate. A gentle breeze swept through the streets, ruffling the leaves of the old acacia trees that lined the narrow roads. In a modest house on the outskirts of town, Rumika sat by the window, her slender fingers brushing the soft pages of an old novel. The world around her seemed distant, a blur compared to the stories she loved to immerse herself in.

Rumika was beautiful in an understated way—her skin was smooth, pale, almost porcelain, with a faint glow that gave her an ethereal presence. She had long, flowing black hair that she often tied loosely, letting it fall gently over her shoulders. Her almond-shaped eyes, deep brown with a warm and steady gaze, were her most striking feature—full of quiet curiosity, yet harboring an ocean of depth. She possessed a gentle demeanor, and though she preferred the solace of books and nature, there was a quiet strength within her. She was thoughtful, reflective, and often carried herself with an unassuming grace that made people naturally gravitate toward her.

But beneath her serene exterior, there was always an air of longing—a feeling that she didn't quite belong. Rumika's life, though peaceful, was often overshadowed by the constant stress her foster parents faced. Debt had plagued their small household for as long as she could remember. Her foster parents were kind, good people, but the weight of their financial troubles had left them worn and fragile. The loan sharks who loomed over them were merciless, and Rumika, despite her gentle nature, had always felt powerless to help.

-------

At the Marino Estate, Kyoko Marino sat behind her grand mahogany desk, the weight of the world resting on her shoulders. As the Chairman of the vast Marino Corporation, Kyoko had long been accustomed to making difficult decisions, but the revelation she had recently uncovered about her youngest sister, Rumika, had shaken her in ways she hadn't anticipated.

After digging through old family records, Kyoko had discovered that her father, Karl Marino, and her mother, Riko Minomoto, had once agreed to an artificial insemination for a childless couple who desperately wanted a child. This revelation had been confirmed by Karl himself in a rare, candid conversation. That child was Rumika. The fact that their parents had allowed this out of pity, and that Rumika had no idea she was actually a Marino, struck Kyoko deeply.

Rumika didn't know the truth, and her foster parents were being hunted by loan sharks—predators that Kyoko knew all too well from her business dealings. Kyoko had made up her mind. She would intervene, not only to protect Rumika and her foster parents, but also to finally bring Rumika into the fold as part of the Marino family.

Rumika's peaceful afternoon was suddenly shattered by the frantic knocking at the door. Her foster mother, an elderly woman with tired eyes, rushed to answer it, her hands shaking. Outside stood two men—tall, intimidating, and clearly not there for pleasantries.

"Where's your husband?" one of them growled, pushing past the door. "He's late on the payments again."

Rumika quickly stood up, her heart racing as she moved toward the door. "Please, we need more time," her foster mother pleaded, her voice trembling with fear. "We've been trying, but—"

"You're out of time, old lady," the other man snapped, his eyes cold and merciless. "We either get our money today, or we're taking everything you own."

Just as Rumika was about to step forward to intervene, a black luxury car pulled up in front of the house, its sleek design a stark contrast to the modest surroundings. The car door opened, and out stepped Kyoko Marino, dressed in a sharp, tailored suit that radiated authority. She was flanked by two security personnel, who immediately positioned themselves between the loan sharks and the door.