First Day

Marie woke to the soft hum of her alarm at six in the morning, the first rays of sunlight spilling through her curtains. As the sound echoed through the room, she blinked, momentarily disoriented, before a wide smile crept across her face. Today was the day. Her first day at Innovare, the job she had worked so hard to land. She had dreamed of this moment, and now it was finally here.

Sitting up in bed, Marie stretched, her heart racing with excitement. She swung her legs over the side of the bed, her bare feet brushing against the cool wooden floor. Slowly, she walked over to her dresser, the excitement bubbling up inside her with each step. The mirror reflected her face, fresh with anticipation, and she couldn't help but smile at her own reflection.

"Today is going to be a good day," she whispered to herself, her voice barely above a murmur, as though speaking it aloud would make it real.

With a quick, satisfied nod to the mirror, she padded across her room and grabbed a fresh towel from the rack. The promise of a new beginning fueled her as she headed into the bathroom for a quick, refreshing shower. The hot water cascaded down her skin, washing away the sleep and filling her with renewed energy. As she rinsed her hair, her mind wandered to the day ahead—new colleagues, new challenges, and the sense of accomplishment she'd been craving.

By the time she stepped out of the bathroom, it was six-thirty. Wrapped in a towel, Marie moved with purpose, quickly dressing in a crisp white blouse and a pair of tailored black pants. She took one last glance in the mirror, smoothing down the fabric with nervous hands. After a moment, she took a deep breath, steadying her nerves.

"Let's do this," she whispered, her lips curling into a determined smile.

Downstairs, the smell of freshly cooked eggs and toast wafted through the air, mingling with the comforting aroma of brewed coffee. As Marie entered the dining room, she was greeted by the familiar sight of her older cousin Cynthia bustling around the kitchen, flipping pancakes with practiced ease. Gabo, Cynthia's husband, sat at the head of the table, the newspaper in one hand, a cup of coffee in the other. He looked up from his reading as soon as Marie walked in.

"Well, look at you, all ready for your big day!" Gabo exclaimed, his warm smile stretching across his face. He raised his coffee mug in a mock toast. "Good luck with the new job, Marie. Innovare is lucky to have you."

Marie blushed slightly, feeling a wave of gratitude wash over her. "Thanks, Gabo. I'm a bit nervous, but I'm excited, too."

"You'll be great," Gabo replied confidently, setting down the newspaper. "You've got that fire in you, always have. Just remember, you earned this. So go in there and show them what you're made of."

Cynthia turned from the stove, balancing a plate of golden pancakes in one hand. "He's right, you know. You've worked hard for this," she said, her eyes soft with pride. "We're so proud of you, Marie."

Marie's heart swelled as she sat down at the table. "Thanks, Cynthia," she said softly, reaching for the toast on the plate in front of her. "I really appreciate it."

As she spread butter on her toast, Cynthia sat down beside her, pouring herself a cup of coffee. The morning was calm, the kind of peaceful routine that grounded Marie, but today it felt different. She wasn't just starting a new job—she was stepping into a new chapter of her life.

Just as Marie was about to take her first bite, Cynthia spoke up again, her tone casual but with a hint of excitement. "Oh, by the way, don't forget—Mang Caloy is coming home tonight."

Marie froze, mid-bite, her eyes widening in surprise. "Mang Caloy? He's coming back?" Her voice rose with excitement as she placed the toast back on the plate, her heart now racing for a different reason.